My oil filter does not look good.

-
My dad has an old mustang with a fresh engine in it. He did an oil change and tossed his filter two weeks ago. He is kicking himself now wishing he would have cut his open.

Any time there's that much material, and big chunks, it means pull it and carefully inspect everything.

I'm heading over to the shop today. Going to put an oil pressure gauge on it and see what happens. If I have got pressure still then the distributor will come out and I'll check the oil pump drive shaft.

Well I put the gauge on it and had about 5 pounds of pressure at cold idle. Going back over tonight to start tearing it out.

Well I put the gauge on it and had about 5 pounds of pressure at cold idle. Going back over tonight to start tearing it out.
oil and temp gauges are tools of the trade for any engine. they are a must for a performance engine.
good luck with the build.

The factory ones in the 67 worked, but im not trusting 50 yr old gauges. Put a triple set right under the dash.
As fish said. Good luck with the build.
Could the pump be shot but everything else ok?
oil and temp gauges are tools of the trade for any engine. they are a must for a performance engine.
good luck with the build.

The factory ones in the 67 worked, but im not trusting 50 yr old gauges. Put a triple set right under the dash.
As fish said. Good luck with the build.
Could the pump be shot but everything else ok?

I'm guessing it's something to do with the pump. All tolerances were dead on. Torqued each bolt to correct pounds and checked the wrench before each day. All new bolts. I'm fairly certain it's the pump but we will find out shortly.

Im not too sure how I'm going to test the pump. I'll be buying a new one for sure but it would be nice to test even it.
I dunno. Can you pull the dist, pull the dist drive, and run the pump with a priming tool? Is there a way to pull the filter and measure how much it can pump out the port which fills the filter? There are some pretty sharp guys on FOBA, who can up with some good ideas with that.

I dunno. Can you pull the dist, pull the dist drive, and run the pump with a priming tool? Is there a way to pull the filter and measure how much it can pump out the port which fills the filter? There are some pretty sharp guys on FOBA, who can up with some good ideas with that.
With that much metal floating around, pull it! No use messing w/ anything now.

X2
When you primed it, took the dist. out and installed a priming rod with a drill motor and spun it clockwise, that should have shown you that the pump was working.

Unfortunately there is nothing gold in an oil pump.
Only in bushings bearings and guides, so yea it's eating something in the lower end.

I'd have to guess trashed cam bearings is what was in the filter at first, and then main bearing material from the low oil pressure.

(which didn't get seen when it started happening why?):D

OP and thread followers want to know what CAUSED the failure. If the OP wants to sort it out, why not? Of course, he's going to pull the engine. Of course, he's going to tear it down. But he could easily run some tests, like running the oil pump without running the engine and doing more damage. Maybe the root cause would be exposed, just pulling the dist, and the oil pump drive.

Unfortunately there is nothing gold in an oil pump.
Only in bushings bearings and guides, so yea it's eating something in the lower end.

I'd have to guess trashed cam bearings is what was in the filter at first, and then main bearing material from the low oil pressure.

(which didn't get seen when it started happening why?):D

Could the trashed bearings be a result of oil pump failure. Yes I had good oil pressure last year but that doesn't mean I did this year.

I noticed it was not running great two weeks ago. You can find a thread titled "something doesn't sound right" in the small block forum. The next weekend I tore it apart and found that. Thought I caught it fast.

Man, some people will do anything to have an excuse to build a stroker.
Kidding, good luck with the teardown, let us know what you find.

-
Back