My plan for new wheels, what do you think?

-

Plaschy

Reaction score
Going from 14” steel wheels to 15” as I want to keep the stock appearance. Planning on 6” wide in front, 8 or 8.5” in back.

I´m also changing the 7 1/4 rear end to a 8 3/4.

I did a quick mock up in PS to show how it sits now and how it (hopefully) will look later. (Nevermind the widht of the rear wheels, they´re to wide. But that was best picture internet could provide.)

I have yet to decide what tyres I want but leaning towards black walls.

My biggest concern is that the rims in the rear would be to wide?

The car is not mini tubbed, nor has the springs relocated.

Now I want to hear what you think.

Valiant 67.png

Last edited:
Going from 14” steel wheels to 15” as I want to keep the stock appearance. Planning on 6” wide in front, 8 or 8.5” in back.

I´m also changing the 7 1/4 rear end to a 8 3/4.

I did a quick mock up in PS to show how it sits now and how it (hopefully) will look later. (Nevermind the widht of the rear wheels, they´re to wide. But that was best picture internet could provide.)

I have yet to decide what tyres I want but leaning towards black walls.

My biggest concern is that the rims in the rear would be to wide?

The car is not mini tubbed, nor has the springs relocated.

Now I want to hear what you think.

View attachment 1715104028
Might want to post the rim specs, that'll help a lot . However, no way rims and tires that size fit in a stock wheel well without at least relocating the leaf springs.

I agree with @dukeboy_318...at least the first part:
Might want to post the rim specs, that'll help a lot ...

I'm pretty sure that a 15x7" may be able to accommodate as much tire as you'd be able to run back there without the aforementioned spring relocation and/or tubbing.
IIRC, you should be able to run at least a 245/60/15 tire on a stock offset 15" wheel in the rear.

As for your photoshop, I think that looks pretty darned good!

My own personal opinion: Skip the chrome and go for the same style that you're already running...just with the bigger wheels/tires. Your car looks just about perfect as-is!

How about 15" Police Package steelies with the vented dog dish caps? Always a mean look...not sure if they make them with 5x4" bolt pattern though...

If this won't be a cornering machine, I'd order the fronts in the 15x4. A bodies have a wider track in front and some wheel/tire combos look awkward because of it. Just my .02

245/60/15 for sure, Possibly a 255/60/15 with the proper offset.
That is it on a stock A body without mini tubbing and spring relocation.

On the rear you can go with a wider tire if you do a 7" wheel. It allows the bulge of the tire to be pulled in a little & wont rub on the springs/inner fender. I did this on a '69 Dart. I ran 275/50R15 with a 7" wheel w/4" back spacing.

IMG_6817.JPG

Last edited:
245/60/15 for sure, Possibly a 255/60/15 with the proper offset.
That is it on a stock A body without mini tubbing and spring relocation.
255 60-15's on 15x7 with 4.25 backspace. No rubbing or trimming. Close though. I have a extra leaf so it sets higher than stock which helps.
007.jpg

Grancuda
Are they Cragar SS's? Cant quite see the rear tires.
So you have 275/50/15's on 15" rims with 4" BS?
Awesome thanks. Side shot if you have one??

275’s aren’t supposed to be mounted on anything less than an 8” wide rim. And on an 8” wide rim they’ll touch the springs and the quarters at the same time with the springs in the stock locations.

Not only that, but you’d be deforming the tread, which will effect tire wear too. And you won’t have any more tread on the ground. Better off putting 245’s on 7” rims and operating within all the manufacturers specs. Even those are tight on some cars, not everyone pulls off 255’s without rubbing. The Valiant model helps some because of the higher wheel openings in the back, but unless you want to get out the hammers for the quarter lip I’d stay away from anything wider than a 255.

275’s aren’t supposed to be mounted on anything less than an 8” wide rim. And on an 8” wide rim they’ll touch the springs and the quarters at the same time with the springs in the stock locations. Not only that, but you’d be deforming the tread, which will effect tire wear too. And you won’t have any more tread on the ground.

BFG recommends 7.5 at the least, not 8. I don't think 1/2" is a deal breaker, it's just 1/4" on each sidewall pulled in tighter. I have ran narrower rims with wide tires plenty with no issues. In the perfect world it's great to go by the mfg specs but wide tire on narrow rim makes the tire look fatter & it pulls the sidewall in for narrow wheel wells.

BFG recommends 7.5 at the least, not 8. I don't think 1/2" is a deal breaker, it's just 1/4" on each sidewall pulled in tighter. I have ran narrower rims with wide tires plenty with no issues. In the perfect world it's great to go by the mfg specs but wide tire on narrow rim makes the tire look fatter & it pulls the sidewall in for narrow wheel wells.

It also puts less tread on the ground, changes the wear patterns, and adds to vague and sometimes unpredictable handling . The point of running wider tires is better traction, and squeezing large tires on too small rims doesn’t improve your traction at all.

275/60/15’s are supposed to have an 11” wide section width and a 8.9” wide tread width. That’s on an 8” wide rim. Your valiant probably only has about 11” from the springs to the quarters. Recommended rim width is 7.5”-9.5”, and even on a 7.5” wide rim those tires will be a little squeezed. But hey, if you can find a tire shop that will mount them, have at it.

It’s your car, so, do what you like. People certainly have done it, and I suppose if you can’t tell the difference in handling you probably aren’t driving hard enough for it to be a problem.

It also puts less tread on the ground, changes the wear patterns, and adds to vague and sometimes unpredictable handling . The point of running wider tires is better traction, and squeezing large tires on too small rims doesn’t improve your traction at all.

No one on this thread is talking about setting up wheels/tires for a SCCA car. If all out handling is your deal, go to the size rim in the middle of the range for the tire to achieve the best performance. If you can tell a difference in a 1/2" wide wheel then you are probably a professional race driver. After a 255 in a street tread like BFG T/A's, it's all for looks, not gription.

275/60/15’s are supposed to have an 11” wide section width and a 8.9” wide tread width. That’s on an 8” wide rim. Your valiant probably only has about 11” from the springs to the quarters. Recommended rim width is 7.5”-9.5”, and even on a 7.5” wide rim those tires will be a little squeezed. But hey, if you can find a tire shop that will mount them, have at it.

It’s your car, so, do what you like. People certainly have done it, and I suppose if you can’t tell the difference in handling you probably aren’t driving hard enough for it to be a problem.

I was actually running 275/50R15.

Real tire shops have no issues, Wal-Mart or the other chain stores ran by lawyers barely will mount anything except what came stock, from what I've heard, I don't go to those types of shops.

No one on this thread is talking about setting up wheels/tires for a SCCA car. If all out handling is your deal, go to the size rim in the middle of the range for the tire to achieve the best performance. If you can tell a difference in a 1/2" wide wheel then you are probably a professional race driver. After a 255 in a street tread like BFG T/A's, it's all for looks, not gription.

I was actually running 275/50R15.

Real tire shops have no issues, Wal-Mart or the other chain stores ran by lawyers barely will mount anything except what came stock, from what I've heard, I don't go to those types of shops.

You know what, you’re totally right.

I forget that most people on this board drive their garage queens a couple hundred miles a year at relatively low speeds in good weather only. Under those conditions it’s all just for looks anyway. Who cares if they handle predictably or not? Not like anything bad ever happens on the highway, or that your and other people’s lives could depend on it.

I’m sure the people that make the tires have no idea what’s actually best.

........ drive their garage queens a couple hundred miles a year at relatively low speeds in good weather only.

I don't know what others do but I daily drive all my stuff. The green '69 that I incorrectly put the wide tires on was my daily driver, my only vehicle, that I commuted 125 miles daily in. I currently daily drive a '67 383 Fastback Barracuda, I put 75 miles on it daily. My stuff is put to the test.

Thanks for all the input.
I need the weekend to think it all over.

63-series-oechrysler-nocap_11.png

I have 245 60r 15 on mine 68 Valiant.
But don't know the width
There summit sbp rallyes

15 x 6 on the front and 15 x 7 on the back.
245 or 255 - 60 - 15 on the rear and a slightly shorter
tire on the front ...225 - 60 -15.
Never put a 275 -60-15 on a 7 inch rim.

Just because you can , don't make it right. Just a thought !!!

Frank

Never put a 275 -60-15 on a 7 inch rim. Just because you can, don't make it right. Just a thought !!!

Someone may want to tell Chevrolet this info, they have about 17,ooo trucks to recall. I have had 2 of their 454SS trucks that had the stock 275/60R15 BFG T/A on 7" wheels & never once did I wreck into a flaming ball of mashed up steel from the ill handling effects of a 275 on a 7" wheel.

15921798534_db45b00cd0_z_d.jpg

I hope you never have a wreck with your Ch**y. If you and they want to run the center tread out of good tires , then you can do so , its a free country.

I have a 68 Dart GTS and does anyone know if a 255/70/15 using a 15 X 7 rim with a 4.25 backspacing with stock suspension work or will it be to close for comfort

well as far as rims , i made my own 15x8's with 4''bc 14'' rim centers and these rim bands in 15x8 with a small through center . they ended up being 1/2'' neg . but i got the stock dog dish hub caps all the way around . ran a really tall tire 27'' plus .
DSC03651.JPG

Update:
I have made up mind and I will go with the same tires and rims as the ´68 Valiant from Hot Rod magazine.
"Coker’s reproduction BFG Redlines on 15 inch Mopar steelies... ...tire sizes 215/65R15 (front) and 225/60R15 (rear) mounted on 15x6 (front) and 15x8 (rear)"

Thank you all for the the input!

Skärmavbild.png

1968-plymouth-valiant-front-passenger-side.jpg

-
Back