My Slant 6 and the re-do

-

Vali68

Reaction score
This is what the motor looked like when I picked it up from the guy who sold it to me for 250.

Attachments

• 20130705_163414.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 308
Here is a picture of what it looks like now after removing parts to get down to the block and head for cleanup. I will be spraying everything with black primer. The block will be Chrysler red. Pan,intake, Timing cover, water pump will be silver. All brackets will be flat black.

Attachments

• 20130721_143839.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 273
Doing one side at a time as far as the primer is concerned. Will start spraying it Red when i get all the block and head clean, sanded, and wiped off.

Attachments

• 20130901_195916.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 281
I am pretty sure that your engine is a later year than the cable-shift transmission (since 5 core plugs in a row). You can check the block casting#. If your car has an early transmission, you will need a $20 spacer ring on the torque converter to snugly fit the crankshaft hole. Otherwise, the assembly will be imbalanced. Check that the prior owner did that.

yeah. The motor came out of a 70 Dart. it will be replacing the slant6 in my 68 Valiant. The Valiant currently has a motor with 3 core plugs in it now. Should I use the tranny that is attached to this motor and just go ahead and pull both the motor and tranny out of the car together when I want to add this one?

This is the motor that is still in the car. It has a 2 inch slit in the side of the block.

Attachments

• downsized95Image11212010154006_2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 228
Here's what you should do while the motor is out:
- new timing cover seal
- new main seal
- new oil pan gasket
- new timing set (i have a brand new one I can sell you for cheap)
- check water pump, replace if it's bad
- clean rocker shaft out
- new valve cover gasket
- check freeze plugs, replace if they are steel
- check oil pump clearances

The water pump was not in good shape, I plan on replacing the water pump and the oil pump. All the freeze plug are brass and look good on the inside. I can see down the water jackets now that I have the water pump off. All gaskets will be replaced including the rear seal. The timing set on the motor looks like it may have been replaced at some point. It's coming a long. Right now I am cleaning and sanding the manifolds to get them ready for high heat painting.

The water pump was not in good shape, I plan on replacing the water pump and the oil pump. All the freeze plug are brass and look good on the inside. I can see down the water jackets now that I have the water pump off. All gaskets will be replaced including the rear seal. The timing set on the motor looks like it may have been replaced at some point. It's coming a long. Right now I am cleaning and sanding the manifolds to get them ready for high heat painting.

clean and make sure nothing is out of spec on the stock pump and reuse it, even put a new/hemi spring in it... the new pumps have soft gears...

Should I use the tranny that is attached to this motor ... ?
I don't see how you could use that cable-shift tranny (65-) in a 1968 car. The only easy way would be to install a 65- floor shifter, which would take a bit of work (need bracket off trans tunnel and holes going forward), plus those shifters are rare and may not look right in your car. Better to sell the tranny to someone who needs it, but they would need to know if 65 or 64- because I am pretty sure the valve body differed. At a minimum, salvage the shift and park cables and attachments because someone needs those, and they are cheap to ship. The valve body is valuable also.

I don't see how you could use that cable-shift tranny (65-) in a 1968 car. The only easy way would be to install a 65- floor shifter, which would take a bit of work (need bracket off trans tunnel and holes going forward), plus those shifters are rare and may not look right in your car. Better to sell the tranny to someone who needs it, but they would need to know if 65 or 64- because I am pretty sure the valve body differed. At a minimum, salvage the shift and park cables and attachments because someone needs those, and they are cheap to ship. The valve body is valuable also.

well they either swapped the crank out on the motor in which case it wont work with the trans in the car or it has the spacer in which case he can just swap motors

In my case I will use the tranny that is in the car already and just replace the motor.

Oh. Sorry. The motor that is in the car has the cracked block. The motor at the beginning of the post is the one that will replace it. So it looks like the motor casting numbers match to the tranny that is currently in the car. Both the motor numbers are listed as matches for the same tranny. So the tranny that was on the motor I bought to replace the current one in the car will hopefully go to someone who can use it. Just needs to be cleaned up and drained of the old fluid.

Attachments

• motors and tranny match.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 142
-
Back