Mystery Crank ( Arrived )

-

SS Lancer

Reaction score
Ok finally recieved the
Bob Glidden ( NOS ) crank in the box and its quite unusual to me versus oem stuff
#1 it has 8 bolt flange on tail end
Its a 3.200 stroke and uses 2" rods .
It appears to a Mopar crank because of the 2532457 casting number that I can barely make out but im sure thats the number and 1 and 4 throws are not drilled like a 340 crank etc.
This crank is in a box from
Chrome A Crank out of Memphis TN and addressed to
Bob Glidden Race Cars
Indianapolis IND
Im just unsure if its internally or externally balanced and suggestions ???
Thanks Chris

20180910_132153.jpg

20180910_132421.jpg

20180910_132737.jpg

20180910_163622.jpg

20180910_163818.jpg

He did run an Arrow Pro Stock during the 70's and it was 340 powered so it would 8 bolt small journal spin it high type parts

It's a race crank............. I would say at this point, it is not balanced at all; it would be balanced to the rods and pistons of the engine build ,it (the crank), was intended for. Not a big deal, lots of rods for 2 inch journals, pick your pistons and go.

It is a race crank with 2" rod journals, and it will need ballanced regardless. Not sure what your question is?

It's a race crank............. I would say at this point, it is not balanced at all; it would be balanced to the rods and pistons of the engine build ,it (the crank), was intended for. Not a big deal, lots of rods for 2 inch journals, pick your pistons and go.
Thank you just need to know what direction to head in , my engine builder will work the rest out

What they said - it's custom part. So you have to customize it to your engine. The up side is the 8-bolt crank stuff (bolts and flywheel) is easy to find. The down side is it's all Hemi stuff and more expensive and you'll want to look into clutch sizes before you just order it up....lol.

What they said - it's custom part. So you have to customize it to your engine. The up side is the 8-bolt crank stuff (bolts and flywheel) is easy to find. The down side is it's all Hemi stuff and more expensive and you'll want to look into clutch sizes before you just order it up....lol.
Thankyou certainly will retain your info

So a .030 over 318 destoked to 312 should rev to the moon with the right cam and head work.
Remember Gilden never let interviewers look at his heads. But he sure was fast with that Arrow.

So a .030 over 318 destoked to 312 should rev to the moon with the right cam and head work.
Remember Gilden never let interviewers look at his heads. But he sure was fast with that Arrow.
If your builder cant figure this out... then he isnt a builder.
Thanks just curious about the balance of Crank for ME to know not engine builder !!
Balancing is done off site from machine shop , I knew the 340 and 318 were balanced differently and this Crank started life as a normal steel LA crank thanks again Chris.

Glidden was running W2 heads ported to the absolute maximum, rectangular runners FAR bigger than W5 or even W8/9 (but volume doesn't trump optimum SHAPE). I'd wager that his bores were 4.100 or larger, to be competitive with Jenkins' 331-345" CID-to-weight ratio. Nice score!!

Last edited:
I am sure Bob Glidden took as much ford stuff as possible to the new program. That man knew how to make cars go Fast. Nothing but respect for the man. Just glad Mopar could steal him for a year. RIP Bob. Great score on the crank!

I am sure Bob Glidden took as much ford stuff as possible to the new program. That man knew how to make cars go Fast. Nothing but respect for the man. Just glad Mopar could steal him for a year. RIP Bob. Great score on the crank!
Amen he was a Legend and a Wizard
Thank you yes it will be cool to have anything he once owned in my motor.

Glidden was running W2 heads ported to the absolute maximum, rectangular runners FAR bigger than W5 or even W8/9 (but volume doesn't trump optimum SHAPE). I'd wager that his bores were 4.100 or larger, to be competitive with Jenkins' 331-345" CID-to-weight ratio. Nice score!!
Thank you great info u gave
For some reason the pro stock info related to his engine is still hard to find it would be cool to have his old recipe book.

The 340 cranks were lightened for the bigger rods and pistons, balance made easier. now this crank doesn't have the lightening done 'as in throws drilled' ...no matter really ... lighter smaller journal rod was to be used....and pumping a 318 bore? even lighter. In layman's the smaller Journal longer rod to be used still weighs less than a factory 340 rod.

Last edited:
The 340 cranks were lightened for the bigger rods and pistons, balance made easier. now this crank doesn't have the lightening done 'as in throws drilled' ...no matter really ... lighter smaller journal rod was to be used....and pumping a 318 bore? even lighter. In layman's the smaller Journal longer rod to be used still weighs less than a factory 340 rod.
Im going to run modern alum or Oliver lite weight rods so it should work pretty well.

Amen he was a Legend and a Wizard
Thank you yes it will be cool to have anything he once owned in my motor.

Not bad mouthing the guy at all, what he did was figure out how to hide his nitrous better than anyone else at the time. His son even admitted he was using it !

Don't remember when or where, but he crashed his car and tore the front sheet metal off. He quickly got out and covered the engine.

-
Back