Mystery Intake.

-

ValiantKindOfGuy

Reaction score
I have this on a parts car I just bought. Not sure what it is looks like a single plane. It’s edelbrock but I couldn’t find any numbers. What is this intake?

9098C648-43DD-486B-8684-35DEFAF880CC.jpeg

2FAF8615-0631-4720-BC83-E9EFC56F70AF.jpeg

Edelbrock Torker2
Pretty good intake it’s tall plenum makes it midrange and top end power.
I use them and like them.

Look at the rear of the intake, between the rear runners, I do think very much that it is there you will find the words, “Torker II 340” cast in.

What size engine is this on?

I have found out through the years of owning one that it can be a little difficult on the street with its huge plenum, (and wrong cam and gear ratio make it a PIA) but a good trick is opening up the runners to the port size as deep as you can go is a good mod. Also, given the intakes large plenum (for its size) that a 4 hole 1/2 or better spacer works really well. You can push it to 7K.

This intake is like a “tweener” (in between) manifold from the Performer and the race single planes like Edelbrock’s own Victor or a M1 or a Holley Strip Dominator. (All 7K and plus intakes.)

Since the RPM intake came out, beating this in power production all over down low and matching it or better up top, this intake has fallen out of favor. If anyone was working with a “On the Cheap” budget, or already have it on there engine, it isn’t to bad of an intake. Designed more for medium large cams and higher than normal gear ratios. You can make some decent power with it.

Look at the rear of the intake, between the rear runners, I do think very much that it is there you will find the words, “Torker II 340” cast in.

What size engine is this on?

I have found out through the years of owning one that it can be a little difficult on the street with its huge plenum, (and wrong cam and gear ratio make it a PIA) but a good trick is opening up the runners to the port size as deep as you can go is a good mod. Also, given the intakes large plenum (for its size) that a 4 hole 1/2 or better spacer works really well. You can push it to 7K.

This intake is like a “tweener” (in between) manifold from the Performer and the race single planes like Edelbrock’s own Victor or a M1 or a Holley Strip Dominator. (All 7K and plus intakes.)

Since the RPM intake came out, beating this in power production all over down low and matching it or better up top, this intake has fallen out of favor. If anyone was working with a “On the Cheap” budget, or already have it on there engine, it isn’t to bad of an intake. Designed more for medium large cams and higher than normal gear ratios. You can make some decent power with it.
Parts car has a running 72 340 and a 8.75 with a sure grip. I think I did okay on price lol. I have a Couple air gaps on my stock as well as tunnel rams. I forgot they even made a torker for these lol. In the AMC world torkers are king. But they might be beat out by the new Vic Jr they just put out.

Victor-4speed car
Torker 2-automatic car
Performer RPM - street car for stop light to stoplight racing.
JMO

They are very handy for engines needing more RPM range and have hood clearance issues. A lot of the 429 CJ guys run these because the factory hoods and Shakers on Torinos won't clear a Stealth or RPM intake.

They are very handy for engines needing more RPM range and have hood clearance issues. A lot of the 429 CJ guys run these because the factory hoods and Shakers on Torinos won't clear a Stealth or RPM intake.
I run them in my AMC because I usually spin the thing well into the 7k range lol. The fate of this 340 will be the same lol!

@Mr. Sinister

LOL, cool, my version...

Victor - When you want to get a little or a bit more serious than your average hot rod. (Below 11.00’s)

Torker 2- Use with hood clearance issues when needing a single plane or on the cheap hot rod part. (11 - 12 second range)

Performer RPM - Everything up to the low 11 second range.

Trans - Auto or manual, personal choice, drivers call. I prefer the man pedal, but really don’t care once I’m in and driving.

JMO as well, Ha ha ha ha

Later model intake one size fits all. Not very sought after unless you have and 80's truck with AC your screaming. I like the older intakes with a cleaner look on an older car. Not saying it wouldn't perform with a good port match. They were just never my cup of Tea.

Last edited:
@Mr. Sinister

LOL, cool, my version...

Victor - When you want to get a little or a bit more serious than your average hot rod. (Below 11.00’s)

Torker 2- Use with hood clearance issues when needing a single plane or on the cheap hot rod part. (11 - 12 second range)

Trans - Auto or manual, personal choice, drivers call. I prefer the man pedal, but really don’t care once I’m in and driving.

JMO as well, Ha ha ha ha
Man I know you are well versed on cheap.

Everybody forget about the Holley Strip Dominator, which Mopar basically copied for their single plane M-1? They recommended the Holley for their SS and other cars over the previous LD-340 and popcicle stick Offenhauser single plane.

There is this: Dyno-Testing Small-Block Intakes - Induction Extravaganza - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Personally, I think this test is biased because of the low max HP rpm. That's pretty conservative. I'm sure they would have done much better at 6500 and higher. Even the Strip Dominator vs the Torker 2. They show being about even in torque & HP to 6300. I'll bet money that the Holley would away after that. the Holly appears taller and has nicely curved runners. It does have a taller plenum floor than a Victor, so it would be better torque-wise, but probably get beat at MUCH higher rpms. Works fantastic on my 3,540+ lb Dart footbraking with a 360. (Old IHRA crate motor Stock combo - 11.14 @ around 117-118.)

@Mr. Sinister

LOL, cool, my version...

JMO as well, Ha ha ha ha
I run 4 speeds only as well.

Man I know you are well versed on cheap.
:rofl:

I have to be! Low paying state job and paid cash for two collage degrees (wife and daughter) with my son starting this fall. He wants to be a doctor. I said good! I’ll pay as long as you go, pass & complete the course for Doctor. Then, when I’m old and busted up, you take care of me when I can’t take care of myself.

And the deal is struck!
On the cheap ways continue.
:lol:

How about honorable mention LD340 or the Holley Street Dominator small port (if you have one laying around)? The OFfy Port-O-Sonic isn't too bad, but I like the old Weiand 7510 or 7545 for a single plane street manifold. It makes for a strong "stoplight to stoplight blaster" with a four speed and some uncomfortably low gears.

It's a decent intake. It's not the doorstop that the original Torker is. As @crackedback would tell you. lol

Ran one on my first attempt at a SB street/strip car. Had a 360 with KB107 pistons and J-heads (2.02x1.60 valves) with a .528" Purple cam and 273 rockers. Budget dream street motor, 16"hg (still had 15"hg with 1.6 Crane roller rockers, .562" gross lift) and ran 12.70s@109mph with 3.91 gears and a 3000 stall on 91 octane. Later switched to a RPM and had a better 60ft time and the same MPH, and a 12.67 ET. So this verifies the previous comments pretty much dead on.

How about honorable mention LD340 or the Holley Street Dominator small port (if you have one laying around)? The OFfy Port-O-Sonic isn't too bad, but I like the old Weiand 7510 or 7545 for a single plane street manifold.

I never had the Weiand. I did have the others. The LD-340 is also very good. I’d do the RPM before that intake though. Unless there was a specific reason to use it, like a highly modified version w/a big TQ up top and a solid roller..... The LA head Street Dominator I didn’t like at all. Now the W2 Holley Street Dominator is a totally different intake and story!

LOL & LMAO @Mr. Sinister
:lol::thumbsup:

-
Back