Mystery Part '65 Barracuda

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This was in with heater parts for my '65 FS, but I don't think it belongs to that assembly. Any ideas where its goes?
DSC_3643.JPG
DSC_3641.JPG
DSC_3642.JPG

Looks a bit like the front suspension up stop.

Maybe not! (Left photo)
Screenshot_20210716-204730.png

Is that a clutch pedal return bumper? I lost my 65 parts book link when I changed OS's on this laptop.

I had one 65 Barracuda 4 sp car that didn't have that part and the automatic car had that bump stop. Both cars were 273 2 barrel cars.

Thanks all. I took the car apart 13 years ago and this one had me scratching my head. I found the illustration in the parts book on page 9-26. On page 9-48, it just specifies for 273 Dart, Valiant, "Engine rear support insulator". No mention of trans type.

DSC_3644.JPG

so does it screw to the trans or the body? such an odd little bit!

Thanks all. I took the car apart 13 years ago and this one had me scratching my head. I found the illustration in the parts book on page 9-26. On page 9-48, it just specifies for 273 Dart, Valiant, "Engine rear support insulator". No mention of trans type.

View attachment 1715766779
It's 9-71-15 in your illustration. It might be kind of a pain to get in if the transmission is in place. Maybe an offset phillips will get in there.....

My car is completely apart, so I'll have no problem installing it (as long as I remember to). That's why I asked about it, I could have easily put the engine/trans in, not realizing it was missing!

I've always questioned the necessity of this part. Seems like it would only be contacted by the trans if the transmission mount failed allowing the transmission to bounce upward. If that ever happened, you'd have bigger issues to worry about IMO.

I love how the rear trans tail shaft mount is called rear engine mount and is in the engine section of the parts book!

Oh Chrysler!

Just picked that same piece up off the floor and was wondering if it went to my car!!

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, thankfully we have the group here to ask. I'm grateful to be here.

Yea, what the unwashed masses call drive shafts are actually called propeller shafts (duh where's the propeller? Oh in boats that is called the wheel :( Nomenclature wars can drive a person nuts. Drive shafts are what we tend to call axles. Whereas the intended use for "axles" was to name the entire front or rear assemblies hub to hub, or kingpin to kingpin. As in straight front axle, or solid or floating rear axle. Too many ways to name stuff always opens the door to confusion and head scratching. I got used to it working
at Garrity motor sales in Hamtramck (boy, spell check doesn't like the poles at all) back in the early 70's. I's ask sensibly, I thought, for a part at the counter and Ralph, 50% of the time would look puzzled in a kind way and begin to teach. It took awhile but luckily I was a quick learner back then. In the end Chrysler's names for parts made perfect sense once I thought about it for a bit. Fun times, wouldn't mind doing them over again. Who knew that devilish fastener on the heater control cable was called a Bowden clip? What's a country boy to do?

View attachment 1715766779

I have the same part in my original /6 powered 64 Valiant. It has the factory 3 speed manual.
Chrysler tends to "beef" things up on stick shift cars to allow for the shock loading. But didn't they realize how easy it was to do a neutral drop with the pushbutton trans?

-
Back