Natural or red intake

Red or natural finish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

MObarracuda

Reaction score
I’m Sprucing up the engine bay of my 1967 Plymouth barracuda and I am treating the old girl to a stroked 340 (date code ,72) with stock Edelbrock cylinder heads with the 340 and 360 exhaust manifolds I purchased from fellow FABO member Treblig.

I’m torn between installing the air gap intake in its natural (silver) as cast finish or installing the original 340 intake that is painted red.

A77A4A61-152D-4FF5-AA1A-1A460A944BFB.jpeg
DBC5A844-90F1-4E16-A90F-B4FFA744326D.jpeg

I’m not doing an original rebuild and I feel at the current flow rate of the stock Edelbrock cylinder heads I feel the motor will perform well as a street cruiser with either intake. Now it’s just a matter of style and preference.

Please vote on the intake color and post your comments, insights and opinions on what you would do if it were your motor. I’m looking for any and all input to help me with anything I may have overlooked. Please share you advise since this is my first Mopar project.

Last edited:
Air gap.

If you are leaving your heads natural aluminum, leave the air gap natural aluminum.

Otherwise the motor will look like a tiger stripe.

The cast intake is a 71 and up intake anyways.

I would go air gap as cast with those valve covers and unpainted heads.

Otherwise I would paint heads and intake (either intake) but then I would be insured about the valve covers :)

as cast with red 'Edelbrock' and pinstripes on the valve covers. Or opposite..

361882751848_1.jpg

I like the stock look in all red but my son voted for the bling look so I went with that.
20180703_205402.jpg
20180703_205339.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture. I can see me, wearing bifocals, taping off the ribs and pin stripping the top of the rips and the edelbrock logo.
Just paint the whole valve cover, then lightly sand and polish the top of the ribs. It will look a whole lot better than if you try to mask them.....

I vote natural or you can paint it aluminum color or powdercoat to resist staining is anything like oil or something gets one the cast which stains easy. I painted my heads and intake aluminum. Still keep the look, just better I think.

20180520_181709.jpg

20180603_124032.jpg

Not red but I have the Indy LAX heads and Eddy air-gap, painted it all blue

IMG_20170410_184458507.jpg

Air gap.

If you are leaving your heads natural aluminum, leave the air gap natural aluminum.

Otherwise the motor will look like a tiger stripe.

The cast intake is a 71 and up intake anyways.
What did you mean by “the cast intake is a 71 and up intake anyways”. I respect your opinion and I’m Curious what you meant.

What did you mean by “the cast intake is a 71 and up intake anyways”. I respect your opinion and I’m Curious what you meant.

That is a spread bore intake manifold originally from a 71 and up 4 bbl car. There should be a casting date on it.

It sounded like you wanted a stock look.

-
Back