Need 360 info...

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
There is a guy here in town who scraps cars & has a 360 that I could buy cheap, probably for it's scrap value. He said it was a "new" one but it has been sitting outside in the back of a pickup with no air cleaner for a long time. I don't know what he meant by new, maybe it was a replacement engine from the factory or something. Anyway, it's a truck engine (center sump oil pan), has a 2 bbl Holley carb, & was originally hooked up to an auto trans. The sticker on the valve cover says it was manufactured in the first 6 months of 1974 (the sticker is too damaged to tell what month) & conforms to California emissions regs for 1974. I should also mention that the sticker is a generic Mopar sticker which lists timing & idle speed specs for engine sizes from 225 through 440. The engine is locked up but looking through the valve cover holes the visible rocker arms are clean & have no rust. I didn't get a chance to pull the dipstick to see what it showed, but will try to next time I'm there. Since it's locked up it's possible that it's not much good but I was wondering if it would be worth getting for the heads. Can anybody tell me what valve sizes they would have? Would the seats be hardened? I have a set of good 2.02/1.60 J heads but it would probably cost a lot to have hardened seats put in & wondered if this would be a better way to go.

Most likely these heads. Check number on heads to be sure. 3671587 1973-1976 340 360 1.88" 1.60" 65cc-73cc
Port runner sizes on all 360 heads are the same I beleive. Mike

What price is the guy putting on the "scrap value" engine? Don't worry about it being locked up...probably just a bearing seized or something simple like that. So, if it's really cheap keep the block as a potential rebuilder. Could be a lot cheaper than a crate motor.

If it's locked, take it for $50. That's more than he'll get is scrap, and it's worth that if it's a usable block. If it was sitting outside over the cold winter, dont bother paying anything for it. If there was any water in it (even from snow/rain/condesation) it's probably cracked somewhere. If you can get it for free, grab it up and tear it down.

-
Back