Need a good TuneUp Tech Guide for Thermoquad

-
Hi Joseph, I also could use a good rebuild guide for the TQ! Got a rebuild kit from Walker but the instructions are missing! Thank you for any help you can give!!! Tom Over
Well , I did find a good guide on line from DAVID KOVAC called "how to overhaul and tune your carter thermo-quad four barrel carburetor ". I feel the key to the TQ is float level not TOO HIGH and Quad rings have really gotta be able to not swell up due to the fuel you are using .Experiment with the float setting if you dare because I have found that running it a little low may solve alot of issues and still run well on a street car .

Well , I did find a good guide on line from DAVID KOVAC called "how to overhaul and tune your carter thermo-quad four barrel carburetor ". I feel the key to the TQ is float level not TOO HIGH and Quad rings have really gotta be able to not swell up due to the fuel you are using .Experiment with the float setting if you dare because I have found that running it a little low may solve alot of issues and still run well on a street car .

Good mention on float level since it allows fuel into the carb bowls, to much and the carb can runs rich and to little, it runs leaner. Just that very little amount of fuel can do this because of its liquid weight. It applies pressure in the passages.

Weird right? But that’s how it is.
Also pay attention to the fuel pump pressure. This also has an effect.
Double weird right?

Good mention on float level since it allows fuel into the carb bowls, to much and the carb can runs rich and to little, it runs leaner. Just that very little amount of fuel can do this because of its liquid weight. It applies pressure in the passages.

Weird right? But that’s how it is.
Also pay attention to the fuel pump pressure. This also has an effect.
Double weird right?
well you know what , if all this was easy everyone would be doing it !!! love carbs!!!

Found it.... not a pdf, text file.
Author: Gary Lewallen (aka. Vaanth)
Date: 24 February 1998

Attachments

• vaanth_thermo-quad_guide.txt
    74.7 KB · Views: 157
No demonsizzler guide, this is the only one i had. I cant vouch for how accurate it is but it does go into a lot of detail.

-
Back