Need a little 360 info please.

-

DusterJAY

Reaction score
I have a 72 duster, that i swapped the motor from a slant 6 for a 318 couple years ago. did a lot of work to it. purple stripe cam, heads, headers along with other stuff. well im gonna swap the 318 for a 360. and am not sure if my 904 tranny will work with it. it was fully rebuilt when it took a dump bout 2 years ago. so it has high performance stuff in it. just dont know if it would be able to handle a 360. Any info would be great cause i bought this car as my first car and learned all about older cars from this car and doing it myself.
Thanks,
Jay

Welcome aboard!

being the 360 is an extrenal balanced engine, a B&M balancer flex plate (I think there called) bolted to the converter and a 360 front hamonic balancer will be what is needed to do the swa.

The 904 should not have a problem if it was rebuilt with some extra performanc goodies.

Built right, a 904 will work well. I got one in my car.:)

Just in case, there are 2 other items you should know about:

* 360 oil pans are different in the rear seal area than 318 and 340 pans. So make sure you use the correct one. Car pans are center sump.

* The driver's(?) side motor mount bosses are different on a 360 and 340. If I remember correctly, you can still use the 318 block side bracket if you use some spacers/washers, or get the appropriate wider bracket for 340/360 blocks. (Can somebody confirm I got the details right?)

-
Back