Need a new scan tool

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ruined my POS little scanner but would like to upgrade. ABS and SRS should be in the menu.
I am not a power user by any means. $200 range.

I'm wiling to spend more money ifnsyal can talk me into it.

Thanks RRR. Dang man, don't you sleep? LOL. I should have been more specific. I'm looking for some reviews and personnel experience

I can give you personal experience, but it won't be from one that does brakes and restraint systems. At least I don't think it does. I've never had either of those issues, so I really don't know.

I bought this from Ebay last year, very pleased, found a code my old code reader would not see on my hemi swap.
I had a srs,abs,4x4 lights on my 2011 ram recently, hooked up this scan tool went to abs module and LR speed sensor had failed. Replaced sensor and cleared the abs code. It also let me see the speed from each wheel sensor. Cheep chinese it's a little slow to read the modules, but for price it works.
LAUNCH X431 CRP129E OBD2 Scanner Engine ABS SRS AT TPMS SAS EPB Diagnostic Tool. Sorry for big letters as I copied and paste the heading.

I bought this from Ebay last year, very pleased, found a code my old code reader would not see on my hemi swap.
I had a srs,abs,4x4 lights on my 2011 ram recently, hooked up this scan tool went to abs module and LR speed sensor had failed. Replaced sensor and cleared the abs code. It also let me see the speed from each wheel sensor. Cheep chinese it's a little slow to read the modules, but for price it works.
LAUNCH X431 CRP129E OBD2 Scanner Engine ABS SRS AT TPMS SAS EPB Diagnostic Tool. Sorry for big letters as I copied and paste the heading.
I thought you were shouting at us! :poke::poke::rofl:

I sold Launch scanners when I was on the MAC truck. Pretty good stuff!

Ruined my POS little scanner but would like to upgrade. ABS and SRS should be in the menu.
I am not a power user by any means. $200 range.
Just remember, for $200 you won't get much just a code reader and just for Generic OBD codes. Manufacturer specific codes require a scanner that is thousands of dollars.

After i quit doing body work i no longer had access to a free one. I bought an innova for home use. Im very happy with it. Like you i didnt want to spend a fortune

Also of note is this tidbit .......although all those in that price range say "live data" taint so. To get "REAL" live data costs hundreds more.What you're getting at that level is a quick refresh freeze frame data cycle. NONE of those has live data at that price level, I don't care what it says. Like Mike said, some in that range are good tools, nonetheless. I think I paid like 39 bucks for mine and it's always done what I needed.

I bought this Bosch a little while ago, paid under $160 for it new. It reads live data, abs, srs, and many other codes. Even has suggestions for the top fixes for certain codes. You can go on the Bosch website and download the software for free that enables you to update the scan tool whenever updates are available.

when I used to be a dealer tech, I used scan tools that costs thousands of dollars. It’s not as nice as that, but for the guy that works on his own stuff, it’s hard to beat

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082JPD7XB/?tag=fabo03-20

8FDA11B7-AC83-4C93-A679-2DDA9A2FD8BB.jpeg

I've always liked anything Bosch puts its name on. Thanks for they replies guys.

I bit the bullet and bought a Snap on Solus Edge a year ago.... was interested in an Autel but besides magazine ads I couldnt find anything on them, couldnt put my hands on one to see what it would do/wouldnt do/ no place around that deals with that brand. so customer support/updates/upgrades? Probably nonexistent.
The scanner I got was one of the "last of that series available", they have since come out with a newer version.... back when I had my "red brick" it was the "shyt" and "would never go out of date/ then I had one of the original Solus scanners, which absolutely cant be updated past 2014..... and the VIN digit for the car's year in the 80s is the same as the 2010s, I tried to look up a 2015 Ford something and it was giving me choices for car model that were out in 1985..... so I sold it and got my money back (I bought that one used, basically got my money back, used that one for a couple years for free) Expensive but I see the Snap on guy every week so if there's is an issue, someone's got me covered..... I use it every day I go to work. Mine is good til 2020, and the machine is bugging me to update it, I'm gonna wait another couple years to do so....when not on sale they want a grand to update this thing.... not gonna happen, or at least not very often. If I see something 2-3 years old with an issue it's going back to teh stealership for warranty anyways.

I bought this Bosch a little while ago, paid under $160 for it new. It reads live data, abs, srs, and many other codes. Even has suggestions for the top fixes for certain codes. You can go on the Bosch website and download the software for free that enables you to update the scan tool whenever updates are available.

when I used to be a dealer tech, I used scan tools that costs thousands of dollars. It’s not as nice as that, but for the guy that works on his own stuff, it’s hard to beat

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082JPD7XB/?tag=fabo03-20

View attachment 1715728325

They're nice, but they have a refresh rate. That means it's not live data. It's a pretty quick refresh rate and they advertise it as live data, but it's not. I've used that very tool. It works well. You can stand there and WATCH the screen refresh. That's freeze frame. It's real quick refresh rate freeze frame, but it's freeze frame. You don't get true live data until "around" a thousand dollars.

They're nice, but they have a refresh rate. That means it's not live data. It's a pretty quick refresh rate and they advertise it as live data, but it's not. I've used that very tool. It works well. You can stand there and WATCH the screen refresh. That's freeze frame. It's real quick refresh rate freeze frame, but it's freeze frame. You don't get true live data until "around" a thousand dollars.
Yeah, if you display all the PIDs at once the refresh rate is a little laggy. You can make a custom list with just a few PIDs and the refresh rate becomes a lot quicker. But it isn’t true live data in the sense. Still works for what I need it to

Yeah, if you display all the PIDs at once the refresh rate is a little laggy. You can make a custom list with just a few PIDs and the refresh rate becomes a lot quicker. But it isn’t true live data in the sense. Still works for what I need it to

...and they work probably for 99% or MORE of things out there. I can count on half a hand the times I've really NEEDED true live data. It's pretty rare.

I mostly need it to just turn the damned lights off after I replace collisioned (is that a word?) parts. Last one was the shutter system on a Ram truck. Carquest came to my rescue with their $30 loaner scanner. My scan tool got hung up in it's storage cabinet and fell subject to a brutal extraction. I think it would have worked but I'm willing to spend a little more if it may help me. My old one or the Carquest loaner will not work on SRS.

I mostly need it to just turn the damned lights off after I replace collisioned (is that a word?) parts. Last one was the shutter system on a Ram truck. Carquest came to my rescue with their $30 loaner scanner. My scan tool got hung up in it's storage cabinet and fell subject to a brutal extraction. I think it would have worked but I'm willing to spend a little more if it may help me. My old one or the Carquest loaner will not work on SRS.
That Bosch has worked for every thing I’ve needed it to. It’s got some features I’m sure I’ll never use, for $160 I think it’s well worth it

My local Carquest has the Innova in stock for $200. Local guy just bought the store and I would like to support him. Just dont want to buy a piece of junk.

I also have an Innova, they made a few different ones, I have what wa sthe "2nd from the top" a few years ago, still a piece of crap..... OK for a quick code clear.
One thing I dont like is teh machine asks if this (enter car) is your car.... always have to answer "yes" because if you don't it "kicks you out" and wont even read codes let alone tell you anything else about the car you happen to be plugged into

Ive used my innova many times for abs and a few srs codes. For what i spent im happy w it. Either way you go its a tough call. I just couldn't justify a crap ton of money now that im not in a shop every day

-
Back