Need advice for all-around truck that can tow

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
It seems I need a pickup more and more often these days and am looking into getting something I can beat up with engines in the back and also the occasional tow (either dolly or trailer) for various A Bodies.

Is a 1/2 ton enough? Any particular trucks I should avoid?

Recommendations/advice for something reliable and not too expensive much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Is a 1/2 ton enough?

Meh, if you can go 3/4 I would. Half ton would probably be fine, but I upsized to 3/4 about 18 years ago and haven't looked back. Of course I'm gonna suggest a Dodge Ram, I have two, one with a V10 and the other with a Hemi, I have yanked a 27 foot bunkhouse fifth wheel to Maine and back several times with not a hiccup from either one of them.

Gas mileage? :)

I thought I would be happy with a 1/2 T (White Whale I) Not enough power, probably mostly because .........gearing......

A lower rear gear and 5 speed would have done it. Hence the WWIII.........3/4T and way lower gears. They are 4.10

I also went to a lot of work to upgrade the 1500 brakes........3/4T calipers and pads, and larger rear cylinders. It DID stop a lot better, but nothing like this 3/4T and it doesn't even have rear disc

Seems to me what we REALLY need is a 440 swap into a RAM

To haul engines around, 1/2 ton is plenty. To drag a trailer once in a while, 1/2 ton will be OK then too. But if you are going to start hauling regularly, you will want a 3/4 ton. I have had several trucks. I only own 3/4 tons now. I currently run a 2008 GMC 3/4 ton Duramax. They are a proven and dependable truck. But once you get into diesel, maintenance is more expensive. I don't think you would require that. I like the Dodge Rams very much myself. The Hemi has lots of get up and go, but like Bad sport said, Fuel economy isn't the best!

I am so close to buying a new truck, I have one picked out going to look at it tomorrow, 1 ton new dodge.
I have beat my 1/2 ton about apart pulling our camping trailer.

It seems I need a pickup more and more often these days and am looking into getting something I can beat up with engines in the back and also the occasional tow (either dolly or trailer) for various A Bodies.

Is a 1/2 ton enough? Any particular trucks I should avoid?

Recommendations/advice for something reliable and not too expensive much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I bought a '01 Ram 3/4 ton 2wd almost 3 years ago. 360 auto. It now is up to 237,*** miles and runs super. Yep, hauled engines, ATV's, Kayaks, etc. I was lucky enough to find one with no rust, and under a thousand bucks. Nothing I have to be fussy with....

I bought a '01 Ram 3/4 ton 2wd almost 3 years ago. 360 auto. It now is up to 237,*** miles and runs super. Yep, hauled engines, ATV's, Kayaks, etc. I was lucky enough to find one with no rust, and under a thousand bucks. Nothing I have to be fussy with....

Didn't know you could still get a 360 in 01.

If you are gonna pull a car or camper, 3/4 ton is what you need. If you pulling on flat land a Hemi will work, but if your pulling on grades , your gonna want a diesel

That sounds like a good deal, my old 1/2 is about used up from towing, broke a spring, bouncing over the road even with a leveling hitch and sway control.
Just too light to tow with.

Meh, if you can go 3/4 I would. Half ton would probably be fine, but I upsized to 3/4 about 18 years ago and haven't looked back. Of course I'm gonna suggest a Dodge Ram, I have two, one with a V10 and the other with a Hemi, I have yanked a 27 foot bunkhouse fifth wheel to Maine and back several times with not a hiccup from either one of them.

Gas mileage? :)

If my V-10 would have been a 4WD I still have that thing. Traded it a diesel and I hated that pig.

Now I have a half ton 318 4WD with a stick. I'll die with that one.

I have always towed with 3/4 tons. I ran a light 3/4 Dodge gas truck with an EFI 360 that was decent. However, the best one is my 1989 Cummins with a 5-speed. Really nice when you need to lay down the power and not eat yourself out of house an home.

We recently bought a family truck that is a newer Ford F-150 Crew Cab with the Coyote. It is not nearly as efficient as the diesel but it gets the job done and feels real stable etc. Just a different type of power from the diesel.

I'd agree with what everyone else says, go 3/4 ton at least and make sure you get some wheelbase with it. I am far from a "heavy tower" but I could not imagine towing with a 1/2 ton up and down hills etc.

My son has an 02 1500 ram. 240k miles on the 360. Tows his 65 B'cuda just fine. I had a 97 1500 ram with the 360 that towed our 30 ft camper just fine. When I moved up to a quad cab and a bigger camper, I went with an 07 2500 diesel ram. I miss my 97, but my 07 is the bomb for serious towing.

92 CTD- 5 speed /11ft bed-
16 mpg towing

SAM_4345.JPG

Anything with the first generation (12 valve) Cummins in it. Nuff said.

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. I call it the "Urban Cowboy Edition" with 20 inch wheels & chrome on chrome. I ordered it new to replace my then 2005 4.7 Ram 1500 that I had put cams in, changed the gear ratio, headers & exhaust etc., but it still could not tow my 9000 lbs of enclosed trailer well enough into a head-wind. So thats when I got the 2007 Hemi.

I looked at a used Cummins then too but ordered up the new Hemi & got the lifetime powertrain warranty (which is still warrantied) knowing I would have this truck forever.

Anyhow I tow a racecar & this enclosed trailer all over. I have a load leveler hitch, with sway bars (done right) and I cant say that I have any complaints past too many downshifts. I like to tow along at 2100RPM but lets face it, the Hemi powerband is much higher. So it downshifts too much for me when it needs its powerband. But I do get 11MPG loaded, and when I am not towing its a real nice run around truck that gets nearly 20mpg (multiple displacement system).

Anyhow, my point is that I recently towed with several new 2016 1/2 tons. Big enclosed trailers too (two car). And I want you to know that the last ten years has been beneficial for 1/2 tons from the big three. These late model trucks tow fantastically. Power is about what you would expect (passing takes planning) but the new transmissions, brake set ups, stability and cabin noise are so much more refined. You can tow off the bumper as well as my 2007 Ram tows with my elaborate hitch set up. The new 1/2 tons are what a 3/4 or 1 ton felt like 10 years ago. Not kidding.

Lastly I towed 5 hours and 25k lbs (five car! rig) with a F450 last month. Lord, it was simple and competent the whole way. Of course that was a $75k truck.

3/4 or 1 ton, CTD 2007 or earlier 5.9, preferably a 4x4 Quad cab! Oh wait I just described my truck! 07 2500 Quad cab 5.9 CTD 4X4,48RE auto. 260 K miles on it so far. I bought it new.

i get company trucks as part of my job. I've had 3/4 ton duramax's and loved them. currently i have a 1/2 ton 5.3 mds sierra.. i towed a trailer to Ohio and back without a hiccup.. drove to CA and picked up a Dart Sport (roller) and drug it back. 1/2 ton really wasnt an issue. i love a 3/4 diesel, but unless you're doing an assload of hauling, most 1/2 tons will do the job for you..

my next one will be a 3/4 ton Duramax.. but that is because cost is not an issue....

For general hauling duty, the occasional moderate towing job, or parts/engine moving a half ton is sufficient. That said, I'd never own anything smaller than a 3/4 ton. I bought my 94 4WD Dodge Ram 2500 CTD new, and still own it 24 years later. The big difference between mine and any half ton, is a half ton is SUFFICIENT. The 2500 handles hauling with AUTHORITY. The additional weight, power, tires, and suspension make all the difference in the world. It's best defined as getting by because you have to (and I've been there, the previous truck was a nice but lightweight Chevy half ton short bed - got it cheap and had no other choices because I was broke), and doing it right. One panic stop with a bunch of weight on the back of a half ton will make a believer of you. Yes, it's a lot more money for the 3/4 ton but it's a worthwhile investment. I've hauled over 10K with mine, can do 45 up a respectable grade, and get mid-to-upper teens for mileage. And this is all still bone stock. It would do a lot better with some engine and brake upgrades.

For general hauling duty, the occasional moderate towing job, or parts/engine moving a half ton is sufficient. That said, I'd never own anything smaller than a 3/4 ton. I bought my 94 4WD Dodge Ram 2500 CTD new, and still own it 24 years later. The big difference between mine and any half ton, is a half ton is SUFFICIENT. The 2500 handles hauling with AUTHORITY. The additional weight, power, tires, and suspension make all the difference in the world. It's best defined as getting by because you have to (and I've been there, the previous truck was a nice but lightweight Chevy half ton short bed - got it cheap and had no other choices because I was broke), and doing it right. One panic stop with a bunch of weight on the back of a half ton will make a believer of you. Yes, it's a lot more money for the 3/4 ton but it's a worthwhile investment. I've hauled over 10K with mine, can do 45 up a respectable grade, and get mid-to-upper teens for mileage. And this is all still bone stock. It would do a lot better with some engine and brake upgrades.
I bought a new 95 club cab 4x4 2500 CTD Dodge. Owned it for 12 years. The weakest part of the truck was the brakes. I don't know if you have done this, but there was a TSB that came out in 1996 to install 3500 rear wheel cylinders on the 2500's. It did improve the brakes.

Thanks everyone for the tips.
It looks like 1/2 ton will do for my very occasional towing needs.
Diesel prices are totally off the hook so I think it's gonna be a gas V8.
Now the fun part... trying to find something affordable out here where everything costs too much.

If you have not bought a truck yet, a used 3/4 ton, would not be that much more money.
Just today I bought a new 1 ton just for my towing needs, I was really pushing what I was doing with a 1/2 ton.
I kept my old 1/2 ton it will be used to haul lumber, dump runs etc.

2013 F150 Fx4 with 5 liter engine, 6 speeds automatic transmission. Yes i know, it's a Ford but it will tow my 8500 lbs boat all day long, no sweat.

My dad's 93 3/4 ctd 4x4 with 5spd is still going strong and still pulls his boat or car trailer and nova wherever and whenever he wants. He's the original owner and 99% of it's life has been used in towing and not as a daily driver. The original Getrag is long gone an been replaced by a nv4500 some time ago. But that drivetrain will outlast that truck and frame as a whole. It just won't quit. As said, anything first gen cummins would be your best bet

-
Back