need alignment specs???????

-

17dartandbroke

Reaction score
I just replaced all of my tie rod ends and adjusted my torsion bars on the car, so the alignment is pretty out of whack. The local alignment shop says that they need the "specs" in order to align it because they do not have them. I was just wondering what it is that they are referring to? Where can i get them? Also, i have the front end slightly lower than it was stock..........when they align the car are they going to move the torsion bars as well? Do they need to, or can i just request that they dont? Also, what should a good alignment cost?

Thanks,
Daryl

I'd have to say I question an alignment shop, that can't make a good educated guess as to what the spec should be on your car.

The swinger in the pic right?

If it has disc brakes, use the specs for a 78 aspen or something like that. Will be something like 2 degrees caster + or - .5 and 0 to 1 degree camber.

Toe spec will be .1 to .4 degrees total. I like to set them at .1 per side.

If your car is manual steering the specs wil call for a caster spec of around -1 degree. DO NOT use this spec. It will make it easier to steer, BUT it will lose hi-speed stability.

If it's still drum's, the same specs will still yield the best stability, and handling results.

As for cost, most shops charge a flat fee for a wheel alignment(around here 40 to 70 dollars cdn) claim to do a quality alignment, but only set the toe, so your tires don't wear out.

At my shop, I charge an extra hour(at my regular rate of 65) to set the caster and camber.

If it takes up to two extra hours to get it right, I still only charge for one extra hour.

thanks for the info. i had to call five places around here because no one would touch it on account of the pep boy's specials on the front. i finally found a place that has a few race cars of their own. they didnt even ask for specs, so i am assuming that they know what they are doing. he said that he has to do it with some old machine to get it right. thanks for the advice, and ill hope that its 70 or under.

thanks,
daryl

-
Back