Need an A833 shifter measurement

-

Iron Oxide

Reaction score
I'm working on a TKX install in my 65 Barracuda and I'm hoping someone can take a measurement for me.

I would like to install an offset shifter on my 5 speed to place the handle in the same offset location as a 4 speed.

Does anyone have, or could you take a measurement of the distance between the A833 tail housing centerline and shifter in neutral for me?

Thank you!

I am helping work on a friends 69 Dart GTS with the factory 4 speed & console. The shifter handle itself is specific to a console equipped car I think. Is yours fitted with the console? It may make a big difference in measurements.

I am helping work on a friends 69 Dart GTS with the factory 4 speed & console. The shifter handle itself is specific to a console equipped car I think. Is yours fitted with the console? It may make a big difference in measurements.
I appreciate it! I do not have a console in my 65 currently, and my intent is to fab up a hump and use a 4 speed bezel like the factory configuration would have been.

I'd like to place my handle in close to the factory position which will require an offset shifter for my TKX - just curious which offset would put me close. They offer a number of offsets from 1", 2.25", 2.75", and 3".

I appreciate it! I do not have a console in my 65 currently, and my intent is to fab up a hump and use a 4 speed bezel like the factory configuration would have been.

I'd like to place my handle in close to the factory position which will require an offset shifter for my TKX - just curious which offset would put me close. They offer a number of offsets from 1", 2.25", 2.75", and 3".
We're doing the same thing with the 69 GTS & Tremec TKO 5 speed. A lot of measuring & fabing a completely new trans tunnel to clear the new tranny. I'm not sure how well the TKX fits in the stock tunnel, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has to be cut quite a bit to make it fit properly. Either way, a lot of fitting & measuring is in your future.

We're doing the same thing with the 69 GTS & Tremec TKO 5 speed. A lot of measuring & fabing a completely new trans tunnel to clear the new tranny. I'm not sure how well the TKX fits in the stock tunnel, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has to be cut quite a bit to make it fit properly. Either way, a lot of fitting & measuring is in your future.
I appreciate your feedback, I'd be interested in seeing your progress!

This has been a long, slow project through the winter. I already had the torsion bar crossmember trimmed and the tunnel clearanced to fit the transmission - I'm currently working on finalizing my torsion bar xmember hoop and figuring out my shift hump situation.

As soon as I get tunnel all sorted out, on to floorpans!

20230322_183948.jpg

20230322_184001.jpg

It was too awkward to take a picture with my improvised “square” but the eyeball says about 4.5” from the case centerline to the center of the shift hole.

08210B6E-4C5B-44F5-8FC1-FA6CECEB086A.jpeg

I appreciate your feedback, I'd be interested in seeing your progress!

This has been a long, slow project through the winter. I already had the torsion bar crossmember trimmed and the tunnel clearanced to fit the transmission - I'm currently working on finalizing my torsion bar xmember hoop and figuring out my shift hump situation.

As soon as I get tunnel all sorted out, on to floorpans!

View attachment 1716067346

View attachment 1716067347
I'll get some pics & PM you with them by this weekend if you want.

Ha! I'm at the exact same stage as you.

I'm not doing a console but I'd like to offset my shifter to the left to make it look more stock. I looked at the Lokar Axi-shift but it seems to raise the handle attachment which I don't like. I just used junk I had laying around so far to check driver comfort.

Which brand offers the different offsets you mention in post #3?

20230314_164808.jpg

20230324_130657.jpg

20230324_131918.jpg

-
Back