Need assistance with a shopping list to convert '68 GTS to 73-76 center link

-

Jeremiah (jd)

Reaction score
Howdy,

One of my winter upgrades on the GTS is changing the center link to a 73-76 style for ease of maintenance (header/clutch removal).

I currently have a 20:1 manual box in the car. Will the '68 steering box work with the later style pitman arm? In addition to finding a used 73-76 center link I plan on buying new tie rods, adjustment sleeves, pitman arm and idler arm. Typically we use Proforged suspension components since Moog went global.

Any other caveats to this swap? How much (if any) clearance will I gain?

Thanks for any advice!

How much (if any) clearance will I gain?
Honestly, not a lot. But sometimes that's all you need.
Picture your existing centerlink with the tie rod ends and pitman/idler arm studs pointing down instead of up- that's what you'll gain. Sometimes the studs pointing down will gain you a bit of oil pan clearance.
Just remember, clearance gained in one direction is also clearance lost in the opposite direction.

I think you need the 73 up steering box to use the 73 pitman arm but I might be wrong. Idler arm and center link obviously. Tie rod ends are different numbers but I think you can use either...adjustment sleeves might be longer

You need a large spline box SO FAR AS I KNOW

There are 4 components that must be compatible. You need the later center link, obviously, 73/ later idler arm, ad pitman arm, and then a large spline box to fit the pitman. Everything else will fit

Exception is on a 67 if you have the original K member with the oddball 67 only idler arm

I have been unable to confirm the difference, if any, between ear
Y and late manual steering boxes. All of the suppliers I have looked into only offer one box.

power steering box went to large spline in 73 I think the manuals stayed small.
check with Firm Feel they offer both large and small spline pitman arms.

there may have been large spline manuals for C-body’s, truck and vans. I don’t have a pic But the plate on top with 3 bolts is clocked differently then the small spline ones

Last edited:
Found one

1673187931526.jpeg

Howdy,

One of my winter upgrades on the GTS is changing the center link to a 73-76 style for ease of maintenance (header/clutch removal).

I currently have a 20:1 manual box in the car. Will the '68 steering box work with the later style pitman arm? In addition to finding a used 73-76 center link I plan on buying new tie rods, adjustment sleeves, pitman arm and idler arm. Typically we use Proforged suspension components since Moog went global.

Any other caveats to this swap? How much (if any) clearance will I gain?

Thanks for any advice!

The 73-76 A-bodies (E and B too) stayed small sector manuals after 1973.

So… what you need for a 68-72 A-body is:

• 73-76 A-body manual pitman (small sector with stud points down
  • 73-76 center link
  • 73-76 A-body idler with stud that points down
That’s it

Last edited:
Note: for a 1967 A-body thinking about this conversion, there is no idler that fits a 67 stud mounted idler K-member that has a stud that points downward. So there is nothing that properly fits for the idler.

Last edited:
-
Back