Need Carb advice for new Big Block build.

-
I'd run a 1050 Dominator. Maybe an 1150.

I’m happy with my Holley 950 on my 500”, you may give up a couple of numbers but I doubt you’ll notice plus have better throttle response…

I was going to say a 1000cfm 4150 style carb being the 3.23 gears. Sure a well built 950 will do just fine.

Be prepared to go through it or have it checked over.I don't trust out of the box parts anymore.

I'd run a 1050 Dominator. Maybe an 1150.

THIS^^^^^^^^^

Also, I would spend the extra money and buy a carb from William Baldwin at Baldwin Carbs or Dom at Thumper Carbs.

The little bit of extra money you spend up front will save you money and time and grief by an order of magnitude.

Those off the shelf carbs need work. And a lot of it.

EDIT: I forgot to add Mark Whitener at Lightning Racing Carbs.

Any one of those 3 will hook you right up.

Last edited:
I run a 800 Edelbrock AVS on my 499 RB. I wouldn't get to hung up on carb size. An engine pulls what air it wants or can get through whatever size holes you mount on top.

If you want a crisp throttle I would forgo the big carbs for your combination, but everyone finds that out in time.

Tom

Might want to look into a prepped thermoquad. The larger one off a big block hp car. The smaller primaries will give great throttle response and better gas mileage on the street and good performance when you get into the secondaries.

I run a 800 Edelbrock AVS on my 499 RB. I wouldn't get to hung up on carb size. An engine pulls what air it wants or can get through whatever size holes you mount on top.

If you want a crisp throttle I would forgo the big carbs for your combination, but everyone finds that out in time.

Tom

A good carb tuner/builder can address that. It’s 2023. We should be past the idea that a big carb means poor low speed response and shitty driveability.

It doesn’t. It just means the tuner is lacking.

My experience has been that the QFT “race” carbs are quite rich at part throttle cruise.
I guess cruising at part throttle isn’t a high priority concern when setting up the calibration for those.
If you go that route, be prepared to have to mess with it.

Building new 512 full roller stroker motor with Trick Flow 240 heads. 10.5:1 compression. Auto trans. 3.23 gears.
Time to buy the carb.
Engine builder says a 950cfm will do.
Would this be a good choice?:
Quick Fuel FRQ-950 Q-Series Carburetor 950CFM Drag Race

The main use of this big block Dart will be Drag and Drive events.
Thanks.
I would stay away from Baldwin carburetors go to his reviews and look at yelp look at the Better Business Bureau. I got burnt by this guy for $1604 a year and a half ago. I’ve had super good luck with Dale cubic and APD

How about a new Edelbrock copy Holley design, 850
Several articles I read said the it has great tunability
Id like to see one run

Call Dominic (Thumper carbs) I have one of his 1050 Dommies on my 512 and it cruises around nice and clean. A buddy of mine tried it on SB bowtie and couldn't believe how nice it cruised around town.

IMG_20230423_195733543.jpg

Tunnel ram with two blp 850s and annular boosters.

I have a nice carb for sale.

I have a number of Holley 4150 style carburetors ranging from an OG 650dp to a Quick Fuel 1050's in annular and downleg.

Both of my 511" low decks ran best with a 1050. The annular drove better at low speeds (<1800 rpm) IMO. Both 1050 carbs needed emulsion bleed changes, IFR relocation, transfer slot restrictors, PVCR calibration, and at minimum a an idle air bleed.

I have an ADP 950 to try one of these days. It is OOTB.

I have a number of Holley 4150 style carburetors ranging from an OG 650dp to a Quick Fuel 1050's in annular and downleg.

Both of my 511" low decks ran best with a 1050. The annular drove better at low speeds (<1800 rpm) IMO. Both 1050 carbs needed emulsion bleed changes, IFR relocation, transfer slot restrictors, PVCR calibration, and at minimum a an idle air bleed.

I have an ADP 950 to try one of these days. It is OOTB.
No dominators ?

My lowdeck

20230625_153009.jpg
512 with soild roller and TF 270 i run 1050 dominator.

-
Back