Need clutch and shifter advice

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I just bought an 84 D100 pickup with a slant 6 and 4 speed OD. This is my first manual vehicle so I'm really a newbie when it comes to this stuff. It seems to have two problems. One is that the clutch pretty much needs to be released about 85% of the way up before it engages. Is there an adjustment for this?

Also the shifter is really loosey goosey. It's tough to tell what gear I'm going into because it just kind of bops around all over the place with minimal force. Is there an adjustment for this as well? Thanks.

1st question: yes there is an adjustment, its down by the bellhousing. There is a threaded part of the linkage to adjust the pedal free play down where the linkage meets the clutch fork.
2nd question: the shifter and shift rods are most likely worn out. The shifter handle might be moving around in the socket which could be amplifying the problem, truck 833s have a rubber isolated shifter handle, drilling and bolting the handle to the shifter machanism would probably tighten things up a little.

:notworth:

Thank you sir...both sound like relatively simple fixes. I'll get on it as soon as winter ends here sometime in the next few days

-
Back