Need help adjusting-Ladder bars

-

swifter

Reaction score
It will my first time adjusting ladder bars and have been studying Dave Morgans book but not understanding completely,With the new trany we need to take some hit out cause Zach's pulling the wheels 6ft in the air sure it looks cool and he gets off on it but it's not helping so I have to take some hit out,So front bolts are in the middle hole but don't know if we just take bolts out and pull the bars down to the bottom hole and then adjust pinion angle???? or do we pull the bolts out and use the rear bar adjusters to lower the front down to the bottom holes but then how do we adjust pinion angle ???? Thanks in advance I know someone will help--Steve

If its wheel standing now? Have you tried to stiffen up the shocks on extension front and rear first.

Try lowering one side with the lower adjuster while the other maintains pinion angle. Then do the other while the previous one maintains it. Verify angle and fine adjust with both if necessary.

So we adjust for pinion angle with the double adjusters on the axle side of the bars-correct???? Steve

Try tightening up the front shocks -if they are too loose they cause the weight to transfer too quick and make for a harder hit.

Try lowering one side with the lower adjuster while the other maintains pinion angle. Then do the other while the previous one maintains it. Verify angle and fine adjust with both if necessary.

I didn't quite get it when i first read that....................

But YES! A GRATE IDEA! that way your pinion angle stays the same.

I have a friend, that has a ladder bar setup and i have been trying to get him to do some experimenting on his bars.

He always tells me, Nah, it's to big of a pain in the #@$%$ to set the pinion angle!

I may try to twist his arm one more time!

Yea Jason-we even put the spacers back in the front and it still pulls way up up and away!!!!!! I went to cheap on the front shocks (comp. eng.) i need to update to double adjust. Steve

Heading to t&t tonight decided to not move the ladder bars yet going to focus on adjusting rear shocks and front end travel first cause the car hooks so good i dont want to screw that up-will report back-steve

Yep was able to adjust rear shocks and ride height with the torsion bars and it helped greatly-thanks steve

The lower you move the front of the ladder bars the harder the hit. you still need to adjust the pinion but its not to bad it you have top double adjusters.

Steve if you want to calm the leave down on that car loosen the rear shocks I'd try setting them about 3 clicks out leave the bars alone set the front shocks on 50/50 setting put the upper control arm limiter rubbers back in then go in the car and change the launch rpm setting from 3400 to 4800 this will make the car leave softer believe me I do know how to set that car up. the one thing guys don't understand is the lower you set your launch rpm the more the converter can flash or freewheel which in turn causes the converter to hit harder and the higher the launch rpm the lessor amount of freewheel in the converter causing the car to leave softer and just drive away . with all that said I would just try the launch rpm to start with and you may not have to change anything else . Att. playing with the bars and not knowing what you are doing could cause you problems as the car is set and goes straight it may change that if you start turning things and you don't want the car pushing one way or the other with the wheels up ! Just my two cents I know you don't have any use for me but I'm only trying to help you here okay good luck and I hope your enjoying the car Steve.

ya reckon this might be backwards?

No! The lower the front of the bar moves the canter of gravity forward making the front lighter. as you raise the front of the bar you move your axis further back giving you more weight on the front.

What I did on my dart was installing homemade front end limiters. You simply chain the front end so that the car has to lift the front end without the help of the front shocks. Just a couple inches of travel is all you need. I pulled a 6' wheel stand at the Mopars on the strip race in Vegas. Then I spent several hours fixing the oil pan! Now I have a 4 link with a B1 motor.
The wheel stands where fun!!

In cars with not enough power, I would suggest the 10/90 shocks and 6 cylinder torsion bars. This is old school stuff from an old racer.

-
Back