Need help again

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As most of yall know I am running the factory single master cylinder.
I would like to go to a dual master cylinder that will bolt up on my 66 Valiant
Do they have a dual master brake cylinder for my drum brakes ?
This is my next upgrade for Victoria that I was told I should do next.
I have spent an hour looking in the tec thread so I would not have to start a new thread. I am hopping I can use the original lines to the rear and add new lines to the front. Can this be dun ?

Thank you again tec's.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20062.jpg

Mike,

You'll need to replace the distribution block on the fame down by the starter with one from a dual master cylinder car. You'll also need the (2) lines from the master to the distribution block, and probably the lines from the distribution block to the front brakes. If you're handy with a tubing bender, you can buy lines in straight sections at NAPA and bend to fit. I think you can also order pre-bent lines but that will probably be expensive.

In any event, take a trip to a junkyard for the distribution block and look at how the lines run on a 68-up A-Body. In fact, take all the lines from this parts donor. If you are lucky, you may be able to use all the later lines on your 66, or at a minimum, you'll have a pattern for new ones.

I've tryed pulling brake fluid lines off a donor before, waste of time. They must have been one of the first pieces installed at factory. Routed over and under everything.
There is a easy bend line material out there. Comes in a varity of diameters and lengths. I dont have a source link so you'll need to hunt it.
Get a dual master and perportion valve from where ever and make the lines all new starting at the wheels and working toward the valve.
2 curlly cooler lines from valve th master, bleed it all and done !
Its definately worth the effort in the long run.

here is the article i followed, since i am keeping the drums for now. http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/dualmaster.htm i purchased a drum/drum master cylinder, i ran the front circuit to the distribution block, and my front lines out of it to each side, then i pluged the rear line hole in the block, for the rear brakes i just fabed up a new line from the mater cylinder down to the rear brake line and spliced them together, this way you only need to make two lines, the ones coming from the master cylinder. if you put a different distribution block on, you will also have to make new front brake lines so they line up with the block. when i had my barracuda, i converted it to discs and i used a proprtioning valve and distribution block from the donor car, but that was alot more work. hope that helps.

P8311585.jpg

P8311586.jpg

thats real close to where the exhaust goes, for manifolds or headers, so watch out where the passenger side ling ties into the block.

its ok, memike and i are running slant sixes. and the silver lines are prebent from inline tube, that is how they came.

Thanks everyone. So I just need to go to my auto supplier and ask for what year ? I will read the http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/dualmaster.htm page and get things going, Thanks again :cheers:
So from what I am reading I need a master cylinder from a 67 to 70 Valiant and go from there.
Very cool Thanks again.

i asked for one for a 67 dart with 4 wheel drums. since that was the first year of dual reservoir. good luck! you will be much safer with this setup buddy.

i asked for one for a 67 dart with 4 wheel drums. since that was the first year of dual reservoir. good luck! you will be much safer with this setup buddy.

That is what 66aCuda said. and I think of that every time I use my brakes know.8)

I have a 63 Dart with a single MC. Will a 67 double MC bolt right in? Other than the obvious changes needed, is there anything I would need to consider? I am concerned about the single MC and brake failure down the line.

-
Back