Need help choosing best paint

-

Pebble beach

Reaction score
currently have a 67 Dart GT convertible that is almost ready for paint. All I have available local is Sherwin Williams what do you guys think of this paint, any bad experiences with that brand? Any info would be appreciated Thank You

I've always used Dupont, House of color and Spies Hecker.

You can order those if they don't have a local deal. I've never heard anything great about Sherwin William Automotive paint. Do a little research I'm sure you'll figure out what they have to offer and peoples opinions/experiences with their products.

Silver is HOC orion silver 50/50 fine and course.

Purple is Dupont

Silver car was painted about 15 years ago. Purple car was painted about 25 years ago.

946911_10201040518804557_1488499933_n.jpg

old phone media 279.jpg

I haven't used Sherwin Williams in ages but we used to call it shrink and wrinkle!

Brands I've used

PPG: Solvent: Good, Water: not my favorite
Sikkens: Solvent: Good, Water: Similar to PPG Envirobase
Valspar: Not so good
Spies: Solvent Good: Water:Very Good
RM: Onyx-Different but undecided as I didn't use it much
RM: Diamont: Good
Glasurit: 55 Line: Good
Glasurit : 90 Line Water: Good
Axalta: Waterbase 2-wet monocoat: Good and very interesting
PPG Omni: Decent but usually transparent and needing more coats making the lower cost useless

I have sprayed all of these brands professionally over the course of my painting career.

One complaint of mine with PPG is their black looks brown if next to a high quality black (which should have a blue hue)

One complaint of mine with PPG is their black looks brown if next to a high quality black (which should have a blue hue)

This would depend on their mix and system. Almost every pour I've ever done has blue, yellow, white, red in it. I can tell you that their straight black toner # DMD1683 is as black as it gets but still needs a binder added.

Sikkens is my favorite but also a good spray gun is best I use Sata.

currently have a 67 Dart GT convertible that is almost ready for paint. All I have available local is Sherwin Williams what do you guys think of this paint, any bad experiences with that brand? Any info would be appreciated Thank You

My painter made the switch to and will only use Sherwin Williams ultra. Prefers it over PPG and HofK, both price and product wise.

IMG_20170827_155157398.jpg

14991.jpeg

IMG_20170827_145550225.jpg

-
Back