Need Help! Front Bumper Identification (pictures)

-

73SwingerBuild

Reaction score
Well, the hits just keep on coming. When I bought my Swinger about 6 years ago, the front bumper was in the car. There were no mounting brackets. I bought front bumper mounting brackets for a '73 Swinger from a member here and cleaned them up, painted them nice nice, and thought I was good to go.
Well, this past weekend, I tried bolting the bumper to the brackets and it looks like the front bumper is too wide by at least 2-3 inches. Furthermore, it doesn't fit the brackets correctly. Below are a few measurements:

Width (along the top): ~68'
Width between top outer bolt holes: ~58"

I did a little research, and it looks like the bumper I have fits a '74 Valiant. Tell me what you think based on the pictures below. The first ones are of my bumper, and the one on the red car is a '74 valiant I found online. The last one should be a '73 Swinger. Am I going nuts!?
Thanks for any information you might have.

-Mike

Attachments

• 2011-11-28_18-49-44_905.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 2011-11-28_18-50-28_60.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 198
  • valiantfrontbumper.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 73SwingerFrontbumper.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 204
hey mike it could be a valiant bumper, hard to tell in the pics but it looks like it doesn't have as much of a beak on it which would have fit the valiant grill. you could always match it with the beak on your car and if it's different that would confirm it's a valiant bumper.

it could also be a 75-76 bumper, they looked the same but I believe they had the holes for the brackets punched farther towards the outside of the bumper. they wouldn't interchange with the 73-74 brackets.

Agreed. My grille is in the attic and I don't feel like digging it out. Also, the bumper backing panel fit alright, but not quite perfect.

Another thing I noticed was that the bumper I have seems to be taller on the top half (where it bumps out more) than a 73 Swinger's front bumper should be. On the photo of an earlier Swinger's bumper, it looks like there is more surface area below the bump-out, as opposed to the later (valiant) bumper, which is split ~50/50.

You're right - you have a Valiant/Scamp bumper, and the one in the bottom pic belongs to a Dart.

Fortunately, a member here is ready to sell me the correct bumper for my car. I guess I'll be listing mine in the classifieds section. What year Valiant and Scamps will this bumper fit? I want to know so that I don't wrongly inform a potential buyer.
Thanks all.

I did find two part numbers on the back of the bumper.
The first number has the mopar part number stamping symbol, and the part #"46570".
The second number is behind where the license plate rests and it reads "777".

Not sure if this will help anybody identify it. I couldn't find anything online.

-
Back