NEED HELP,FUEL PUMP BOLT ISSUE,LEAKS OIL

-
I'm sure the threads go all the way through. The hole ID is smaller than the bolt od.

If you want to vaccume, bend a small ( about the same diameter as the hole) piece of copper tube into a J shape.

Attach the long side to a shop vac and insert it in the pump hole and line it up with the hole you are drilling and suck away!

Greasy gauze rag would be easier.

I think you are over complicating this.

Get-er-done
Already got it done about an hour ago. I hadn’t done a helicoil before so I just wanted to be clear about it. You know,one person says this,another says that. Just want to be sure. Anyway it’s done and no leaks. Carb is also rebuilt and runs smooth again. Next task will be getting the IVR replaced for the gauges. And the speedometer cable.
Thanks to everyone here who offered their help. I learned a lot about helicoils,time sert,etc. Amazingly I’ve never stripped a bolt on my cars and had to use one before

I learned a lot about helicoils,time sert,etc. Amazingly I’ve never stripped a bolt on my cars and had to use one before
Me too!

Inquiring minds want to know... what approach did you use for debris capture?

I Never liked hilicoil etc but from the video that was posted I'm in

Already got it done about an hour ago. I hadn’t done a helicoil before so I just wanted to be clear about it. You know,one person says this,another says that. Just want to be sure. Anyway it’s done and no leaks. Carb is also rebuilt and runs smooth again. Next task will be getting the IVR replaced for the gauges. And the speedometer cable.
Thanks to everyone here who offered their help. I learned a lot about helicoils,time sert,etc. Amazingly I’ve never stripped a bolt on my cars and had to use one before
Great!! Thanks for updating us. it is really nice when the OP lets us know how the repair went.

Thanks KosmicKuda,it’s 9/16” so 3/8 so this kit for $30 would be the one. When you say use sealant,are you meaning I should put red loctite on the helicoil when it’s inserted? In one of the videos online they said helicoil recommends never stacking helicoils and never putting loctite on them. What would you recommend? Also in the videos I watched it shows the tang being broken off the helicoil after it’s driven on. I wouldn’t want that to fall into the engine.
Red Loctite is generally referred to as non-removable. (Without heat)
Blue Loctite is easily removable.
It can double as a sealer
Thanks KosmicKuda,it’s 9/16” so 3/8 so this kit for $30 would be the one. When you say use sealant,are you meaning I should put red loctite on the helicoil when it’s inserted? In one of the videos online they said helicoil recommends never stacking helicoils and never putting loctite on them. What would you recommend? Also in the videos I watched it shows the tang being broken off the helicoil after it’s driven on. I wouldn’t want that to fall into the engine.
Red Loctite should be considered non-removable.(without heat)
Blue Loctite is meant to be removable.

If you have it on hand, I don't think it would be a bad thing to seal and lock the insert into the aluminum. You should be able to grip and break the tang with needle -nosed pliers.

I just went out to my garage and checked the factory fasteners holding the fuel pump on an original 340. They are both 3/8-16 UNC hex head cap screws without lock washers or flange heads. The rear is 1-1/4" long and the front is 1-1/2" long. And yes, the rear screw came out with engine oil on it.

Split lockwashers are a bad thing, never used on high quality assemblies. You will not find a single split washer on aircraft or space vehicles because they must be built to Mil-spec. Also, all threaded holes in aluminum MUST have thread inserts. (Keensert type, not Helicoil)

If you need to buy new hex head cap screws, don't fall into the trap of buying Grade 8. You could never torque a screw enough to take advantage of its strength when threaded into aluminum. Grade 5 is good enough mostly because the quality will be better than Grade 1. Always avoid using the cheap unmarked hardware. Not only is the steel of questionable quality,
(that junk shouldn't even be considered steel) but the threads will be poorly formed. A loose fit will only add to your leakage.

You should seal the rear screw threads at insertion to prevent oil migration. I use this stuff to seal threads on engines.

20230203_090209.jpg

KosmicKuda,that’s funny you would mention that,because that’s what I did. I used needle nose plies to break the tang off so I could just pull it out after.
The time-sert fasteners looked good,but the kit was $100.

Especially if I had never had that timing cover for myself I'd have pulled it out of the car and looked everything over. If only because I've had to replace a few small block timing covers for antifreeze leakage at the top of the cover adjacent to the water pump passages. They love to blow the gaskets out around there, and the aluminum cover gets pitted and ate out. I've taken a few of them into a machine shop and had them mill 10-15 thou off of the gasket face when I didn't have a loose timing cover laying around.

If you use a tap to put in a Helicoil, coat the flutes of the tap with wheel bearing grease and go very slow. The grease will catch the aluminum pieces and the won't fall in the pan. Other than that, pull the timing cover and Helicoil it.
If you are going to the trouble removing the cover (that is what I would do) then just get another one. They should be cheap, around $10 - $30.00, used. Just make sure the timing marks are the same as the one you are replacing. Sometimes, retaping and replacing a old bolt with a new one will work. An old bolt may have thread damage from other use in the pass.

-
Back