Need Help Getting Fired Up Part II

-

elmedico

Reaction score
Ok, I reverted back to points ignition in order to get myself some spark and then to worry about electronic later. So here is my issue:

I have the distributor direct to the - side of the coil, the + side of the coil to the ballast resistor and the other side of the ballast making a direct connect to the battery. Problem here is the ballast resistor smokes almost immediately. Tried another resistor - same thing.

SO I skipped the resistor and make a jumper from the battery to the + side of the coil. Got spark but coil gets piping hot to the touch pretty quickly.

The dash wiring is really not intact so this is done with hot wiring in mind.

Question is - What do I need to do to make this darn thing work?

well, the resistor may be the wrong rating for your "rig". The parts store should have a catalog the shows the resistances of various resistors. Get one like 8ohms or so, maybe a little more, and stick it in there. They are designed to generate heat when they are working, so this is normal. Glowing red hot is not..lol. The coil will be overheated if nothing is used for too long. I do your trick a lot when I want to eliminate complications.

-
Back