Need help identifying an ignition control module

-

jamesmcclain340

Reaction score
My buddy has this. Dunno where or when it came from.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have one JUST like it. I was lookin at it today. Mine even has the COMPLETE and UNCUT harness with it. I assume it's the same wiring configuration as the Mopar box, since it's the same style plug. I may try to verify that when I make my electronic conversion.
IMG_20210805_004951.jpg

I have one JUST like it. I was lookin at it today. Mine even has the COMPLETE and UNCUT harness with it. I assume it's the same wiring configuration as the Mopar box, since it's the same style plug. I may try to verify that when I make my electronic conversion.
View attachment 1715776247
Rob do you have wiring details? diagram, etc?

I have one, bought it late 70's. It used an optical pickup, plastic tooth wheel on distributor cam. My pickup failed when my battery failed open. It lasted over 30 years. I think it was BorgWarner. I might have a manual. I replaced with used Mallory Uni-Lite. I thought about replacing pickup with a more robust optical vane switch. I am not sure if the trigger input of box, is same as Mopar electronic VR distributor. I never had a car with Mopar electronic box to compare. I think three bullet connections to pickup, for LED, photo sensor, and common.

Last edited:
I have one, bought it late 70's. It used an optical pickup, plastic tooth wheel on distributor cam. My pickup failed when my battery failed open. It lasted over 30 years. I think it was BorgWarner. I might have a manual. I replaced with used Mallory Uni-Lite. I thought about replacing pickup with a more robust optical vane switch. I am not sure if the trigger input of box, is same as Mopar electronic VR distributor. I never had a car with Mopar electronic box to compare. I think three bullet connections to pickup, for LED, photo sensor, and common.

LOLOL a winner!!!!

BW1s-l500.jpg

BWignition.jpg

BWs-l500.jpg

Rob do you have wiring details? diagram, etc?

No, but I have a Mopar harness with everything marked on it. I feel SURE since the plugs interchange they are the same. I can label the aftermarket harness according to the Mopar one and feel very confident it will be right.

I have the whole thing, opticals and all. Just no paperwork.

I have this one too and it is new in the box, complete with all the deestruckshuns AND the original warranty card. LOL
IMG_20210808_235107.jpg

IMG_20210808_234847.jpg

IMG_20210808_234911.jpg

Doesn't that one sortof look like a late 70's --early 80's Ferd box?

Doesn't that one sortof look like a late 70's --early 80's Ferd box?

I'm hoping this little Borg Warner unit is the same wiring as the Mopar boxes. Do you know of any way to tell without just trying it? My plan is to wire in the stock Mopar harness I have and give it a whirl. The plug is the same on each one....of course that's no guarantee.

I can pick out the grounds of course on the BW unit. And the wires with eyelets I assume go to the coil. That's four out of the six. There are two grounds. Then there's the ones with the little bullet connectors.

Rob if this is indeed the unit pictured, the dist. trigger is different. If you had a working Mopar box to measure voltages at the distributor connector, and compare them to the BW, the voltages between the two would be different if it is the optical trigger setup mentioned

Rob if this is indeed the unit pictured, the dist. trigger is different. If you had a working Mopar box to measure voltages at the distributor connector, and compare them to the BW, the voltages between the two would be different if it is the optical trigger setup mentioned

IT is. I have the whole thAng. That figures. I need to look for a good Mopar module then.

-
Back