Need help NON mopar 1967 Pontiac Lemans 326

-
Oldsmobile also made a 307. Did u just put the cam in also? It could be sucking air from under the intake ports. Is a spring off the weights under the rotor. Kim

Did u just put the cam in also? Negative. Haven't touched the bottom end.

It could be sucking air from under the intake ports. stick a rubber hose over the end of a propane torch to get between the intake and the valley pan?

Is a spring off the weights under the rotor. I'll check it out.

not actual engine. just pics to show intake
pontiac_engine_valley_pan-3.jpg

pontiac_engine_valley_pan-4.jpg

Is there a port in the floor of that intake that needs plugged? Take vacuum hose off at dist and plug it. Pull timing up to 30 or so. That happens then. If no better, pull the plugs and see if they all are burning nice or are 4 gold and 4 like new looking from not firing at all. Does the camshaft have a different firing order than the stock cam. Kim

Last edited:
I would try to find stock/different distributor for sake of trouble shoot. (if possible)
If aftermarket HEI distributor, Ive had new ones being junk more than once........

D.

I would try to find stock/different distributor for sake of trouble shoot. (if possible)
If aftermarket HEI distributor, Ive had new ones being junk more than once........

D.

No reason he can't drop the stock dist. back in...........

I wish I was closer to the OP. I have a spare HEI and a spare Rochester sitting on the shelf. We could figure this out in an afternoon over a 6 pack of Bud and swap a few lies in the process.

Not sure if I’m going to be able to work on it today. I have a laundry list of things to fix/check as soon as I can. Thanks again for all the responses.

The rotor goes counter clockwise.

Correct, by the late 70s or a bit earlier, they were kind of sharing, b-o-p , buick olds pontiac,

Your fire chicken of that era could of had a just about any thing, 403 olds, 455 pontiac, 400 pontiac, its confusing...

Last edited:
Correct, by the late 70s or a bit earlier, they were kind of sharing, b-o-p , buick olds pontiac,

Your fire chicken of that era could of had a just about any thing, 403 olds, 455 pontiac, 400 pontiac, its confusing...

Yes, and I would rather have the 403 than any other GM engine from that era. They only came one way. H.P. They were a bowl full of badassary, for that era.

Pontiacs will, over time, have balancers that have the outer ring slip/shift so please check that Tdc on the balancer is truly tdc of #1 cylinder. Tom Hand

No one ever put a chev in a yak?

What is a yak? I think some of the Canadia ponchos had Chev engines........

From Wiki.........

"In particular, Canadian "full size" Pontiacs were actually closely related to Chevrolets, making use of the economical Chevrolet chassis and drivetrain, though with the American Pontiac-styled exterior body panels (They weren't the same as U.S. Pontiac panels since they had to fit the shorter-wheelbase 119-inch Chevrolet "X" frame. U.S. Pontiacs used a full perimeter frame.) and interior instrument panels. As Chevrolets under the skin, Canadian Pontiacs including the Parisienne used the same engines and transmissions as full-size Chevys, including the 230 and 250 cubic inch 6 cylinder and 283, 307, 327, 350, 396, 400, 409, 427 and 454 cu inch V8s. These engines were mated to the same transmissions as Chevrolet, including 3 and 4 speed manual and the 2 speed Powerglide and later the three-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions."

Pay attention to the little asterisk. See where it says the distributor rotates clockwise? You know why? Because the 307 was not a Pontiac engine. It was an Oldsmobile engine sold in Pontiacs. Pontiac never made a 307.
That`s the only reason I was asking just incase the op was placing the firing order in the wrong rotation and cause havoc. Just trying to help the OP. I`ve read chev based engine.
Anywho , strange it ran great before he did all that work, seems timing related to me.
Good luck OP

That`s the only reason I was asking just incase the op was placing the firing order in the wrong rotation and cause havoc. Just trying to help the OP. I`ve read chev based engine.
Anywho , strange it ran great before he did all that work, seems timing related to me.
Good luck OP

I know. It's a mystery for sure. Hopefully if he stabs the distributor in right, it might correct it.

-
Back