need help on a charity build !!!!!!!!!!!

-

scamp173124

Reaction score
I am currently building a 1971 Scamp for the Shriners Hospital for children . When the car is done it is going on ebay to be auctioned off. All the proceeds are going straight to the Shriners hospital. I have had great luck with many companys donating time,money, and parts but still need more help. Currently we are looking for a straight axle due to the fact we are building a gassser out of the scamp. The other 2 big dollar items we are having a very hard getting are the motor (440 ci). We had a motor that the owner backed out on, all of the donated parts are for this motor. Last but not least are 2 low back drag style racing seats.
Anything we can get is a great help. The children are in danger of loosing their hospital.

Thanks
Joe Wallace
shrinersplymouth@yahoo.com
(413)275-6959

Wish I could help Joe! That's pretty stellar what you're doing, I'd love to see how the build is going! Is there anywhere I could see some kind of progress on the build?

Joe, I'm glad to see you found your way here! I told you these guys would make you feel at home. Though time is getting short and there's still a lot left to do, this build is in extremely capable hands and the kids are lucky to have you.

As an FYI to everybody, Joe told me last week when we first talked on the phone that if every person in the US donated a dollar, the Shriner's Hospitals could stay open for another 10 years. PSC is thrilled to be on board with the powder coating work the Scamp needs to look her best for the auction. If anyone else can help out with cash or parts donations, please don't hesitate to get in touch with Joe. It's for a great cause!!!

Again, welcome to FABO. It's an honor to have you here and a distinct privilege to be involved with your project. I look forward to working with you.

welcome to super duper kewl carsite!!!!what's the paypal address for donations?and give up a list of smaller items needed to finish the car,some members here may have that stuff just layin around and give us some pic's !!! we want pics !!!

welcome to super duper kewl carsite!!!!what's the paypal address for donations?and give up a list of smaller items needed to finish the car,some members here may have that stuff just layin around and give us some pic's !!! we want pics !!!
X2 :cheers:

I am currently building a 1971 Scamp for the Shriners Hospital for children . When the car is done it is going on ebay to be auctioned off. All the proceeds are going straight to the Shriners hospital. I have had great luck with many companys donating time,money, and parts but still need more help. Currently we are looking for a straight axle due to the fact we are building a gassser out of the scamp. The other 2 big dollar items we are having a very hard getting are the motor (440 ci). We had a motor that the owner backed out on, all of the donated parts are for this motor. Last but not least are 2 low back drag style racing seats.
Anything we can get is a great help. The children are in danger of loosing their hospital.

Thanks
Joe Wallace
shrinersplymouth@yahoo.com
(413)275-6959

I am trying to get pics up and really sorry guys right now I am so slammed I have not had time to make a palpal account. I am so behind with finding a motor this car might get half breeded into a small block chevy powered gasser due to time restraints. I know I am gonna get some hell for that but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. If anyone wants to donate some cash you can always send to me.
Joe Wallace
858 bradley rd
Springfield,Ma 01109

Again thanks for the support and help from everyone. Leanna a special thank you to you and your company for all the help !! Guys this is the women you want to use for all your powder coating needs !!!!

To help Joe out since he's so busy trying to get everything together, I volunteered to post the pictures of the Scamp. These were taken when the car was first found.

View attachment 78306

View attachment 78307

View attachment 78308

View attachment 78309

View attachment 78310

I'm sure the condition of this baby looks all too familiar to most of us LOL!

To help kind of get the FABO ball rolling, I'm absolutely delighted to report that NIC Industries of White City, Oregon -- my main powder supplier -- has agreed to join PSC and jump on the bandwagon with both feet. Even though the expense could be considerable, ALL of the powders that I'll need to do the work on the little Scamp will be donated in their entirety, and they've even agreed to pick up the shipping costs! Thanks NIC!!!

Just like Hannibal would always say on The A Team, I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER. :love7:

just to let everyone know I need a passenger side door asap and anyone have any ideas on a fiberglass nose 1 piece would be nice or I am gonna end up welding the steel one together for a flip.any help is greatly needed and thanks for the support !!!!!

well today I got a call and have been told by the Shriners the date for their car show and due date for the scamp has been pushed up 6 days. Went from the 21 of Aug. to the 15th. I am now more screwed and more stressed. Now I am lost. Someone come find me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....of project in it's current condition. Make us a list of stuff you need. Leanna called and clued me in on this effort so i found ya. The general board is good place to post this for a lot of participation.
Small Block

P.S. I do have motors of all kinds and many blocks.....but they aren't chevies.

I got a new shop today folks and gettin everything moved into it. Sometimes a bad thing can turn into a fabulous thing !!!!!!!!!!!

This thread needs some more background information. It's not getting the kind or quality of attention it deserves.

Small Block, the only reason the Scamp may end up as a halfbreed with a bowtie motor is out of desperation. I'm not sure how much Joe filled you in on the specifics when you guys talked on the phone, but this is the scoop.

The original 440 slated for the build turned out to be cracked. The machine shop who repaired it went out of business without any kind of warning or even a phone call, and Joe found his big block sitting in the empty parking lot uncovered. It's now a rusted hunk of junk requiring new internals and additional machine work that isn't in the (non-existent) budget. The time is getting so short with so much still remaining to be done that it may just have to have a Chevy under the hood unless someone sees fit to help out. (Billy has been scrambling the last few days calling every contact in his Little Black Book trying to come up with a motor. He's ready to donate a brand new steel crank and bearings for a 440 but we don't have a block ... if we did it would already be on the way to Massachusetts.)

We all know this car won't bring the desired result at auction without a Ma Mopar motor, and the Shriners' kids will unfortunately be the ones who suffer the consequences. They already have enough to deal with, and they're counting on this and other donations to keep their hospitals afloat.

As an aside, I found Joe's blog post on another website and invited him over here where Mopars really matter, and where this big family of A Body lovers could show the support and kindness that I've come to love, respect and admire from all of you. Please, let's not let him down.

Joe has the express blessing and required paperwork from Shriners Hospitals to prove that this isn't just some scam. As a business owner who sees her own share of solicitations on a regular basis, this one is definitely an attention getter.

I am sending this in regards to the car we are building. It is a 1971 Plymouth Scamp that was donated by Leveille's Auto Salvage, 96 Egypt Road, Somers CT, phone number 860-749-3705.

I am building this car because I am very passionate about Shriners Hospitals and all they do for children! They do amazing things for families in need of quality orthopedic care for their children and feel that children are our future. We need to protect and care for our future so I will do what I can to keep the hospitals from losing support and help they so badly need. If you did not know, the hospitals work strictly off donations while providing medical care for free. The hospitals are struggling to keep their budget afloat due to the economy. They are talking about closing 6 hospitals in the near future. That is a lot of free medical care gone and it is going to make things so much harder on families who rely on these services. So, this is where I step in and hopefully get some awareness out there and money needed to stop this from happening.

I plan on building this car in 2 months' time from the ground up, turning it into a 60's style "Gasser" drag type car. I want to promote the heck out of it and auction it off on eBay with all the proceeds going straight to Shriners Hospital in Springfield, MA.

I have the support of Bill Taft at Hi Tech Transmissions 317 Somers Road, East Longmeadow MA, phone number 413-525-1710. He builds some of the best trannys in the east coast. I also have Mike Balise from Balise Motor Sales on board. He is donating a bay at one of his shops strictly for this endeavor. He owns many auto dealerships in the east coast and has been very supportive.

Shriners Hospital has been great and is thrilled with this endeavor, and I hope that you are too. You can contact the hospital directly: Lee Freniere 413-755-2307, Springfield MA, or A.J Pasmas 813-281-8480 HQ-Tampa, FL. I have many more companies I am still waiting to hear from starting with Goodmark Industries 770-339-8557. Rick at Goodmark has been great and he is trying to do what he can. Fiberglass Unlimited 877-735-7772 so far just email contact, but hopeful they will get on board. Speedway Motors 800-979-0122 so far things looking very positive there, just waiting on an okay from the owner. Moroso Thors@moroso.com, waiting on a final answer. There are even talks with the Discovery Channel on video taping the whole process which would be great for promoting the hospital and the companies who donate parts.

All I am looking for is to keep the future bright and positive for the Kids Shriners treats and to know I did something when it was needed! I hope you and your company will do the same and look forward to talking to you in the future. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,

Joe Wallace

413-783-0153 home / 413-275-6959 cell/shop​

* * *​

This is a listing of the great -- and highly recognizable -- companies involved in this project so far, as well as a partial listing of the parts and services they've donated along the way. With every UPS delivery this list changes, but it will give you a good idea of what's been accomplished so far.

ATL - fuel cell

Autometer - gauges

B&M - shifter

Fiberglass Unlimited - lexan

Hedman Headers - header kit

Hi-Tech Transmission - tranny and converter

Howe Racing Enterprises - radiator and related parts

Levielles Auto Salvage - 1971 Plymouth Scamp

LM-Tarbell - all steel needed for the build

McGill Hose and Coupling - all plumbing on the car

Moroso - oil pan, valve covers, Blue Max racing wires, timing cover, battery box

MSD - ignition (not yet received but promised) ... we'll see

NIC Industries -- any powders needed for the build

Phoenix Specialty Coatings -- custom powder coating to match the paint

R&R Industries - Ford 9 inch and any other parts Joe can use in their yard

VFN - fiberglass panels

I hope you all can see fit to spread the word about this wonderful endeavor to your Mopar-lovin' buddies / contacts / businesses even if you aren't able to help out personally. We need all the extra help and support we can get. I know the caliber of quality people this site is made of. You guys wanted a FABO car??? Well, here's your chance.

Together, we can all make this happen.

Ok,I'm at a loss here,anybody going from florida to there?I have a 440 short block here I will donate to the cause,my funds are tight and really hadn't planned on it but I guess it would free up a lil' more shop space.who can deliver this thing?It is a complete shortblock and I have a cherry picker to load it.

I'm in Northern Virginia. I have a complete and running 340 w/ trans. Come and get it. Or I'll offer it for sale in the next couple of weeks. I was looking to get some decent money out of it to finance other things, but what the hell.

My hat is off to you my friend! before i went over seas we use to go to charlotte to the nascar races with the shriners /they got paid by the track for us working the event and all was donated to the childrens hospital! let it be said here and passed on to all NO MAN EVER STOOD SO TALL AS WHEN HE STOOPED TO HELP A CHILD! i wish i had something to offer to help!

hey anybody that will be willing to help out,this is a very worthy cause,anybody in the trucking business...call in a favor with the dispatcher or the boss,it's just a lil' motor...come on pick this up for the kid's!!!I can put it on a pallate and provide a forklift,whatever it takes!

Hey, Guys,

I have no parts to offer, but I will do what I can. When you get this baby together, shoot me some good photos and jot down some key points about the car and I will be happy to donate an 18" x 24" show board for the cause.

For those who don't know me, I am Jeff Strong, owner of Strong Keepsake Images and good friend of Leanna ~ Cuda Chick. To see the kind of work I do, check out my show board slide show: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/strongkeepsakeimages/showboards/?albumview=slideshow

My website is: http://www.StrongKeepsakeImages.com
You can reach me direct at: jcstrong@snet.net or call my cell at: 860-402-2811

Great project guys! Good luck with it!

Jeff

Great news Jeff!!! Thank you very much for accepting my proposal. (Sorry I missed your call ... been burning up the phone lines around here the last few days and voice mail just can't seem to keep up.)

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive and for spreading the word to your Mopar pals even if you can't help out yourself. Every little bit helps!!!

I started a FABO quiters jar for the smokers. I'll bump up whats in the jar to $40.00 on behalf of myself, the quitters, and my other brothers at ShadeTree Racing and Choppers. Anyone else up to match it?

Well people I just got off the phone with a company and I must say I am just flat out pissed !!!!!! The guy had the balls to ask me why I would bother doing what I am doing with the economy the way it is . Well duh dumb *** !
Anyway I told him he needed to educate himeself about the shriners and sent him over to thier website. If you all got the time check out thier site it is www.shrinershq.org/hospitals/springfield check out the tour they have on there . If you all are still in question on why I am doing this after words then to hell with ya !!!!!!!

-
Back