Need help on front disc conversion 1972 swinger

-

LittleSlantSwinger

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Im very new to this site but i have some questions on a front disc brake swap on a 1972 dodge dart swinger 225 with 14 inch 5x4 bolt stock rims. also my first car! But i am wondering if there are any cheapish conversion kits for that rim size. because i cant really find a conversion online for it. If anyone knows of a kit where i dont need new rims please let me know! And any other info about converting front to disc would be appreciated also, thank you.

Im not 100% certain but i thought scarebird offered something. I dont know about quality either.

contact doctordiff he is a vendor on this site, he will help you out with your conversion,Cass is his name. Very good guy very knowlegeable on this .

Last edited:
You could also get all the stock parts, for a 4 piston KH Swap.

In the northern Colorado craigs list someone selling a later single piston setup just bolt on. I think it was 350.00

I used SSBC-USA for my '71 Dart GT. It was done about 15 years ago (when it was called SSBC). It was expensive, but it is a very complete kit and an easy swap. SSBC-USA front discs also allow for either the SBP (Small Bolt Pattern (5 on 4")) or the LBP (Large Bolt Pattern (5 on 4 1/2")). I opted for the SBP as I already had SBP Rallye wheels that I wanted to keep (I have 14" up front and 15" on the rear), and the factory SBP 8 3/4" rear-end.

Also, the factory 14" X 5 1/2" (or the 14" X 4 1/2") SBP STEEL wheels did NOT fit my car.

1-Hagerty (show off)-5.jpg

Thanks everyone for replying and for the info. But im still wondering if i can use these kits with the stock 14 inch rims or not. I saw somewhere dont know if it was on this website or another that you cant use the stock 14 inch rims with most if not all brake conversion kits. can someone help me on this?

I used SSBC-USA for my '71 Dart GT. It was done about 15 years ago (when it was called SSBC). It was expensive, but it is a very complete kit and an easy swap. SSBC-USA front discs also allow for either the SBP (Small Bolt Pattern (5 on 4")) or the LBP (Large Bolt Pattern (5 on 4 1/2")). I opted for the SBP as I already had SBP Rallye wheels that I wanted to keep (I have 14" up front and 15" on the rear), and the factory SBP 8 3/4" rear-end.

Also, the factory 14" X 5 1/2" (or the 14" X 4 1/2") SBP STEEL wheels did NOT fit my car.

View attachment 1715929050
nice car and thanks. are you able to leave a link to the kit you used please i would greatly apprecciate it. Just so i have another option to ponder on lol.

Thanks everyone for replying and for the info. But im still wondering if i can use these kits with the stock 14 inch rims or not. I saw somewhere dont know if it was on this website or another that you cant use the stock 14 inch rims with most if not all brake conversion kits. can someone help me on this?

What stock rims do you have? I have used scarebird before with factory 14" Rallye wheels. Not sure if the steel wheels clear. I'm sure their website addresses it.

View attachment 1715929050
Nice car.

What stock rims do you have? I have used scarebird before with factory 14" Rallye wheels. Not sure if the steel wheels clear. I'm sure their website addresses it.
im sorry dont know too much about the rims but what is the difference between rallye and the normal stock rims?

Did you click on the links provided? Did you call or email Scarebird tech line?
There is a picture of a caliper that has been slightly modified to clear steel wheels.
They also offer a complete kit for 10" drum convert to disc.
I would rather get the bracket from them and source out my own parts and apply and discounts I get from merchants like AA, AZ and RA.

Did you click on the links provided? Did you call or email Scarebird tech line?
There is a picture of a caliper that has been slightly modified to clear steel wheels.
They also offer a complete kit for 10" drum convert to disc.
I would rather get the bracket from them and source out my own parts and apply and discounts I get from merchants like AA, AZ and RA.
I havent had a chance to call or email them yet. And yes i cliked the links provided also i currently have 9 inch drums on the car. When i get a chance ill try and contact scarebird and ask them about it.

The stock Kelsey Hayes brake system works with those wheels. Yours appear to be the 14 X 4 1/2" version.....in case you need that info with an aftermarket system.

The stock Kelsey Hayes brake system works with those wheels. Yours appear to be the 14 X 4 1/2" version.....in case you need that info with an aftermarket system.
Where can i find the kelsey hayes brake system? And are you sure it would fit my rims? Everything i read online since yesterday suggests that no disc brake conversion fits those stock steelies unless they are rallye. Just trying to be cautious about it because i dont know if i can afford new rims too at the moment.

Kelsey hayes brakes are the factory disc brakes. They will fit those wheels

-
Back