need help pulling magnum out

-

bubbaedc

Reaction score
greetings, I have a project 75 Duster ive had for a few years now, picked up an 02 Ram Van with the 5.9 in it for a donor motor, wife was tired of looking at the van, said its time to work on the car.

went to pull the motor out of the van today, and ran into a few snags. cannot figure out how the motor mount comes off the frame, also cant seem to figure out how even once I get the motor mounts off, where my hoist will fit to get the motor out, the oil pan seems to be behind the cross member and doesn't look like ill have enough room to lift the trans to get it to clear. see pictures below.

has anyone pulled this motor out of this van? any tips on how to get this nut off the underside of the MM?

cant seem to see where i could fit my hoist

and this is where the oil pan and trans are super low behind the crossmemeber

any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Well I'm going to take a wild stab here but most the time I think van motors come out the door? like taking the driver's seat out and the driver's door off and or maybe even the passenger to not have the steering wheel in the way..??..

I have no advice. I once dropped a 360LA out by putting the van on the hoist and dropping it out the bottom. used come-a-long and a timber through the windows. It was a junker. Even then it did not come out "clean"

I’m reminded of the episode of roadkill episode number 23 where the motorhome was recip sawed off the chassis to pull out a 440. Not been in on a pulling a engine van yet, but it doesn’t look like a happy time at all in there. Is the crossmember and front frame assembly bolted into the body or is everything welded to everything else?

Well I'm going to take a wild stab here but most the time I think van motors come out the door? like taking the driver's seat out and the driver's door off and or maybe even the passenger to not have the steering wheel in the way..??..
it looks too big to do that without breaking down a ton of the motor in the process

I’m reminded of the episode of roadkill episode number 23 where the motorhome was recip sawed off the chassis to pull out a 440. Not been in on a pulling a engine van yet, but it doesn’t look like a happy time at all in there. Is the crossmember and front frame assembly bolted into the body or is everything welded to everything else?
yeah i got the van for 500, going to send it to a scrap yard once i get what i need off of it, im thinking about just cutting up and then lifting it out that way, then grinding off the motor mounts, but was hoping for a cleaner removal haha

If you're not saving the body, cut straight up through the firewall. If you're saving the body, passenger door. Trans comes off first.

'j par', my apologies are in order pal. I thought you were being a wise guy by suggesting to pull the motor out thru the passenger door.

So, I googled it. And you are correct! The official Dodge way is to disassemble 1/2 of the engine, grab it with a hoist and take it out the passenger door. Of course that's after removing the tranny. One fella was going to dispose of the donor after he was finished, so to make the job easier, he cut the floorboard out.

Nice call!

OP, good luck, sounds like a P.I.T.A.!

Last edited:
I done several of these at work. Comes out through the front. Once u get the radiator and support out of the way you have a lot more room. U will have to pull the intake to get enough height to clear the crossmember. I have pulled them with the trans but it’s a pain. When I would reinstall I would put the trans in separate. I know u don’t have to worry about reinstalling so I would try cutting the firewall and go out the front trans and all

Last edited:
'j par', my apologies are in order pal. I thought you were being a wise guy by suggesting to pull the motor out thru the passenger door.

So, I googled it. And you are correct! The official Dodge way is to disassemble 1/2 of the engine, grab it with a hoist and take it out the passenger door. Of course that's after removing the tranny. One fella was going to dispose of the donor after he was finished, so to make the job easier, he cut the floorboard out.

Nice call!

OP, good luck, sounds like a P.I.T.A.!
it's my own fault I joke around so much sometimes people don't know when to take me serious...

I pulled a LA 360 out through the passenger door. However, that was in a '89 and the motor sat back a little more. On the magnum vans, I think the motor is more forward and not sure if the door exit works or not!

Like was said above...get the radiator and radiator support out of the way and it will come out. If you jack the front end up a little bit, it will give you a straighter shot with the cherry picker.

I pulled a LA 360 out through the passenger door. However, that was in a '89 and the motor sat back a little more. On the magnum vans, I think the motor is more forward and not sure if the door exit works or not!
Didn't you drag race at motor today...?..

Remove the front windshield, radiator, front grille, loosen up the dash, and sawsall the center of the dash support out of the way. Undo your trans lines, wiring, trans mount, exhaust, motor mounts.

In other words, if you don’t have room, make it.

IMG_20191027_124034.jpg
IMG_20191027_124034.jpg
Remove the front windshield, radiator, front grille, loosen up the dash, and sawsall the center of the dash support out of the way. Undo your trans lines, wiring, trans mount, exhaust, motor mounts.

In other words, if you don’t have room, make it.
Haha didn't have to remove windshield but sawsall works!

You made that look easy! That shell is still one of the best mobile storage sheds available.

yeah we had used the shell as a storage shed when we remodled the kitchen last year, but now one of the windows is fully broken in the back, so now that the motor is out the wife is chomping at the bit for me to part the van out and get the shell out of our drive way (been here two years) lol

now that I am starting to look at the motor, theres a number casting on the passenger side, near the front, any ideas what it means? its a 360 magum block

IMG_20191029_100435.jpg

-
Back