Need help to mount these

-

mopar56

Reaction score
So I was in a speed shop yesterday out of town from me and found some bullet style center caps I liked but I need ideas to mount them...and before any of the purest get upset, don't worry these are for my 56 Dodge p/u not my son's a body! Anyway I want to simply have a bullet cap by itself with 5 chrome lugs but the caps I bought don't have a lip to push through from behind but they do have a center strap with threaded hole I can't run a strap across the back because of the axle poking through....
.ideas I will post pictures.

20180415_113615.jpg

20180415_113630.jpg

20180415_113638.jpg

20180415_113742.jpg

Only thing I can think of on the fronts is to bond it to the register lip with an epoxy. You cant trap it with a captive ring as the register is almost an interference fit. Maybe in the back...Or bond it to the bearing dust cap.

Last edited:
fill void with expanding foam and use high powered magnets to attach to the dust cap itself

Ultra silicone, stick 'em on. Works surprisingly well and you'd be surprised how many Harley geegaws are attached that way.

Pishta your right about interference fit on the rear really I should have got a different style but I liked these also don't really want to apoxy or magnet as they never stay on and although they had only five left so I bought them all to have a spare I was thinking of maybe a thin ring that could screw to the back of the cap then go under the lugs like the spider cap and paint that part black to keep the clean look....the trick is how to make them? Thanks for the ideas keep them coming please.

Tack a small washer to dust cap and attatch a spring.
I have used springs to retain things in the past, hidden panels with no fasteners, springs work well.
Never thought of using them in your case, but why not.
The cap needs some sort of shoulder or collar to stay in place.

Was thinking about caps for my magnum 500’s,and this is a good idea-fence post caps.

What about finding some old, damaged caps that have the correct flange, cut the flanges off them, leaving maybe a 1/2" lip. Then work them so they fit inside your new ones, and two-part epoxy them together ??

products-hs-200.jpg

lots of good ideas coming in, I was thinking of these I use them at my work they are fastened with a special two part epoxy that once glued they can not come off, if I glue them to the front bearing caps and the rear rear axle centers I could then thread them on using blue thread lock, I need two see what the thread pitch on the caps is first.

The three holes between the lug holes are used for retaining a factory center cap on a rally wheel. How about if you fab up a polished round aluminum or stainless disc that fits around the lug nuts. Use the three screw holes to retain it. Add two more dummy screws to make it look like there are five, drill a smaller hole in the middles and use the bullet retainer to fasten it.

65 wgn440, don't think I can do that because the bullets wont go all the way through the wheel the diameter is too big and I don't want to cut them, however they do actually make bullet caps like that for that purpose but I would have to order them, 55dave, not sure if I understand your first idea what would the center of the cap screw to? the plate your suggesting I make couldn't be solid in the middle because the front cap for the hub sticks out through the wheel and the same with the rear axle just not as much, I did think of your second idea in fact I have some of those around the house somewhere but what I was thinking is attaching the bullets to the center instead of the knock off center flat cap they come with but not sure if it would give me the clean look I was going for but I am going to try that when I find them. thanks everyone for all the ideas so far.

-
Back