................need help with a 4.7...........

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
..........It needs 4 exhaust lash adjusters they are collapsed.......is this a pretty common problem?........motor is pretty grungy inside........broke a couple of the timing chain sliders.......do the chains wear bad...........guy says not many miles on the motor..........thanks.........kim..

the 4.7 is known for the lash adjusters to do as yours I had one adjuster go bad I popped it out cleaned it put it back in with a 0.50 shim under the lash adjuster no more tick . these engines need a high detergent oil to keep them clean such as a quart of at fluid or marvel m oil with every oil change .my 4.7 has 250 k and works great now and is clean inside .sometimes new lash adjusters will still tick without the shim trick .

When I worked at the transmission shop, every now and then, we used a Jasper reman transmission. I remember the Jasper rep shootin the breeze one day and we got on the subject of the 4.7. He said they are BAD about sludging up the oil. He said they found that the oil pump pickup tube is too small and that on all their reman 4.7s they replace the stock one with a larger tube. As you can imagine, sludge can be responsible for all kinda maladies.

-
Back