Need help with a new radiator

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have a 69 Dart with a 360 engine that is built with a few HP parts but nothing wild. It has the original 273 radiator, 2949069. The radiator is clean and does a fair job of cooling as long as your not stopped. This is a original A/C car and i have installed all the A/C parts back on the car but I haven't charged it yet because the cooling system needs to be improved first. I have the MP clutch/fan package on it, P4120758. I do not have a shroud on it and i do not believe that in itself will make it run cool enough especially if I charge the A/C. Problem is the fan clutch set up is real close to the radiator, like one inch. So if I add a thicker radiator or recore mine to a 3 pass I will wind up with less clearance. So my question is how have some of you dealt with this issue and what is recommended for a radiator. The car will cruse all day long at 180 degrees as long as I'm moving. Thanks in advance for your help.

dartenginecompartment-1.jpg

this is where hood scoops come in handy ,but it sure would luv a shroud mine just hates sitting in traffic or 95 degree days sure like to fix mine with a new challenger and have the best of both worlds I think they did an awesome job with those g/l stay kewl in your radiator is a good start.

this is where hood scoops come in handy ,but it sure would luv a shroud mine just hates sitting in traffic or 95 degree days sure like to fix mine with a new challenger and have the best of both worlds I think they did an awesome job with those g/l stay kewl in your radiator is a good start.

The car does have a AAR 6 pack fiberglass hood on it.

Actually, some scoops not sealed to the carb / bonnet can be COUNTER to engine cooling!!!

So far as thicker core/ clutch clearance, there was "some deal" about a shorter clutch, off a Jag? I don't recall t he details

I don't know why you think a shroud won't make a sizable difference. Hell through a temp one together out of 1/4" plywood 'er something and try it

There was a thread on here somebody laid one up in 'glass

You might get 20 degress cooler with a schroud when stopped or slow traffic.

Have they improved on the aftermarket shrouds? From what I've read the repops aren't that good. Wheres a good place to buy one.

-
Back