Need help with rear disc brake conversion

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My son and I are building a 70 Duster from ground up. Right now it is a body only. It had a slant 6 in it when I got it. rearend is a 7 1/4 I believe. not important because I bought an 8 3/4 today to go under it. The rearend is a small bolt pattern with 3:23 rears posi in a 741 case. I am looking to change the rearend to a big bolt pattern and I want to go with a disc brake setup. I know I need new axles but where do I go to get a disc brake setup for this. also what do I need. never done this before and I am in the dark here. thanks,Bill

Get in touch with Cass at Dr diff. He can set you up with both the axels and disc brake kit.

Save your money on the rear disc setup. Unnecessary eye candy.
Unless you are going to auto cross the car you will see little braking benefit over a good front disc setup. The front do the majority of the braking. Just use high quality pads and rotors and keep the brake fluid changed.
Instead, try to find a stronger 742 diff to build. The 741 Sure grip unit will work in the 742. Just needs 742 ring and pinion.

Save your money on the rear disc setup. Unnecessary eye candy.
Unless you are going to auto cross the car you will see little braking benefit over a good front disc setup. The front do the majority of the braking. Just use high quality pads and rotors and keep the brake fluid changed.
Instead, try to find a stronger 742 diff to build. The 741 Sure grip unit will work in the 742. Just needs 742 ring and pinion.
I am talking about rear disc brake setup.

So am I. Many people want to convert the rear to disc. The braking is not improved much, it requires a weaker Green bearing to fit the adapters to the rear housing and is hard to get a good firm brake pedal.
Just FYI before you spend money.

it requires a weaker Green bearing to fit the adapters to the rear housing and is hard to get a good firm brake peda
This isn't true with the Dr Diff rear set up. You can run the tapered rear bearing.

I have Dr Diff's 13" front, 11.6" rear and 15/16 master and I have no issue with getting a firm pedal.

To the OP. Do avoid the generic, cheap, rear disc brakes you see from other sellers like Right stuff, MP, etc. Stick to Baer, Dr. Diff, or Wilwood. I suggest a call to Cass (Dr. Diff), you'll be glad you did.

The Dr. Diff 10.7 and 11.7 inch rear discs work with either the factory tapered roller or aftermarket green bearings. Only the 11.25" kit requires green bearings.
Or you can just go to the boneyard and grab the rear disc setup off of a '98 or earlier Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Jeep Liberty. Darn near bolt on an 8.75 with green bearings- just have to drill 1 hole in the backing plate, and some minor fab to hook up the parking brake.

The Dr. Diff 10.7 and 11.7 inch rear discs work with either the factory tapered roller or aftermarket green bearings. Only the 11.25" kit requires green bearings.
Or you can just go to the boneyard and grab the rear disc setup off of a '98 or earlier Jeep Grand cherokee or a Jeep liberty. Darn near bolt on an 8.75 with green bearings, just have to drill 1 hole in the backing plate, and some minor fab to hook up the parking brake.
thanks, will let him know.

I am running 94-2004 Mustang rear disc brakes in my 65 Dart.

I am using an A Body 8.75, LBP axles with caliper adapters that were supplied by member @dodgedifferent2

Rotors, calipers, pads and hoses you buy locally, Summit or similar.

Axles still use tapered bearings. I’m very happy with dd2’s adapters snd service

-
Back