Need help with remove timing cover seal!

-

petty437

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to remove the factory timing cover seal with out damaging the cover? Mine is giving me fits. I did a search on a few of the forums here with no luck. Any assistance is appreciated!

seal puller

seal puller.jpg

Are you referring to the gasket that goes around the cover to the engine block or the oil seal that goes to the crank?

Oil Seal...
Seal puller above would be good start. Many seals can be crushed in on themselves with a pair of players or even a screwdriver.

Timing cover gasket...
Gasket scraper, razer blade, gasket remover spray (will remove paint)
upload_2019-5-2_7-0-45.png
upload_2019-5-2_7-2-1.png

just go slow and go with the grain so to speak. (try not to have scratches from in to out) scratches length wise less of a problem.

I used a screwdriver. I pounded the middle of the seal until it started pulling away from the lip, then moved the driver to the dimple, and pounded there until of popped out. Admittedly a knuckle-dragger way to do it but it worked for a knuckle-dragger...

are you trying to do this with the cover still on the engine?

if not, just lay it face up on a flat surface, find a socket that fits nicely on it and tap it out

if the cover is still on the engine, you need to carefully pierce the outer ring with a small screw driver and pry it out that way
you may need to work around several spots to get it off

Are you referring to the gasket that goes around the cover to the engine block or the oil seal that goes to the crank?

Oil Seal...
Seal puller above would be good start. Many seals can be crushed in on themselves with a pair of players or even a screwdriver.

Timing cover gasket...
Gasket scraper, razer blade, gasket remover spray (will remove paint)
View attachment 1715329273View attachment 1715329276

just go slow and go with the grain so to speak. (try not to have scratches from in to out) scratches length wise less of a problem.
Oil seal

are you trying to do this with the cover still on the engine?

if not, just lay it face up on a flat surface, find a socket that fits nicely on it and tap it out

if the cover is still on the engine, you need to carefully pierce the outer ring with a small screw driver and pry it out that way
you may need to work around several spots to get it off
It's off the motor & on my workbench. It installs from the inside.

I think i just used an old screwdriver and drove the seal inwards toward the middle. Make it heart-shaped instead of round.

Take a look at the damper.
If there is a groove worn into it, install one of those shaft saver sleeves.
Do it right.

I think i just used an old screwdriver and drove the seal inwards toward the middle. Make it heart-shaped instead of round.

Take a look at the damper.
If there is a groove worn into it, install one of those shaft saver sleeves.
Do it right.

I JUST DID THIS YESTERDAY, WITH A MED SIZED SCREW DRIVER , NOTHING TO IT !
I think with all the jumping around , my caps button turns itself on. I know this thing adds letters by itself ,as the pop ups occur !

Finally got it out with a 2 ft long 1.5 inch wd pry bar! An old mopar friend came over & couldn't believe haw hard it was to remove!! :thankyou:

-
Back