Need help with some connectors and getting my car started

-

Just a 73

Reaction score
Long story short had a few bad transactions on purchasing parts online and let the car sit for about 9 months.

Car was running fine if it sat for a few days it would need some starting fluid to get going.
Well now that I’ve begin to start doing some work with the pile of parts I’ve accumulated the car won’t start. Starter goes the car just does not fire cap and rotor appear fine cleaned engine to chassis ground and engine to negative grounds, was going to check spark by removing a plug and holding it to the manifold when I discovered this. This connector has most wires cut but some are still there going to the ballast resistor so I think this could be an issue. In that slew of wires is a ground that is not connected so I’m not sure where that goes.

Sorry for the jumble to sum it up
1 could this melted connector be my problem?
2 can I order a new one or is there a better (modern?) way of fixing or rerouting all these wires
3 on the fourth picture what are these 2 parts and why are a few wires capped

Sorry for the jumbled mess but I appreciate any help. Thank you

B9F97655-ECB6-445C-8ED5-443BE45EA588.jpeg

3EDBE62B-CD0A-49A8-9D25-A0CF2EED96ED.jpeg

D5B3C1A3-ACA5-4BBF-9F7C-59FA3B218734.jpeg

134C2D43-B61F-4660-93E6-B809A49E75FC.jpeg

4D276177-14EF-405F-BEDF-4C9DC9FB9A09.jpeg

1909394A-BB8B-4CB0-A9E2-474AC3DA03B4.jpeg

That connector is "big trouble." Factory added it along about 72/73 to facilitate engine install. Best thing you could do is bypass all of it.

What do you have for ignition? Is this factory Mopar electronic or what? I WOULD NOT start by checking spark at the plug. "Rig" a spark tester, you can buy them at any automotive joint, and use a solid core coil wire to test, NOT a resistance wire. Crank engine using the key, NOT by jumpering starter relay. Coil should generate a nice, blue, snappy spark at least 3/8" long and typically more like 1/2"

Pull cap and rotor. Inspect cap for moisture, metal/ carbon/ ick tracking inside, and inspect rotor for "punch through" both top and bottom

Check for dist. shaft play, and examine reluctor/ pickup for strike damage, rust, debri

If no spark, pull all ignition connectors.......distributor, ECU, and resistor, and work them in/ out several times to feel for tightness and scrub them clean

With key in "run" take the engine harness end of the distributor connector.......not the distributor end, and tap the metal exposed terminal to ground. Should generate a one "snap" spark from coil each time you do so

Have you tried a little fuel/ starting fluid down the carb? Inspected the plugs for condition, fouling?

I tried some starting fluid but it never starts to fire so that’s why I figured something was wrong so I wanted to ask here for help before I make things worse. Hers a pic of what I have now. Thank you for your help. Also is there a name for that connector or system so I can try and search/google a write up on how to bypass it.

123EC648-78C3-47F9-8179-6CF134E4AE1D.jpeg

Just cut one wire at a time and splice them back together. By the way you can download a free service manual from MyMopar. Some of those manuals over there, including the 73, came from the guys on here.

Update got it running soldered the wires in that connector and it was an instant startup

Now you should go read the MAD article on ammeters, and search some of my posts "voltage drop" and check your charging voltage.

GREAT!!

Read a lot and determine your direction before rewiring. If you modernize things like the ignition system, you can get rid of many components. My engine bays are simpler and cleaner since I installed a 90's fuse/relay box and got rid of all the stuff on the firewall (starter and horn relays, Vreg, ...).

-
Back