..............need help..........

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
..............I have a 2001 ram 2500 4x4 diesel.........has very little air blowing out of the vents/defrost.......switches to every position including a/c.........fan is working, but not on #2 position...........i thought cabin air filter but it apparently doesnt have 1........any thoughts............thanks...............kim.......

Kimmer, Can you hear the fan actually going top speed when you switch the speed knob to the highest setting.

.............The fan changes speeds, controls switch from defrost, heat, vent a/c............was good saturday,sunday this started..........kim......

The fan switch not working on different speeds, there is a resistor type circut in the swith itself.
I had to change one out in my 03 Jeep last winter. It was only like 20 bucks at autozone.
I would check the diesel forums, they will tell you exactly what you need and how to change it.
Good luck.

Could be the "resistor pack". In most cars, the blower switch selects the resistor(s) to put in series with the DC motor to set the speed. Since #2 position doesn't work, that suggests at least one resistor is blown. They may use the same resistors in different arrangements (series or parallel, just guessing) so a bad resistor might affect other switch positions.

The resistor pack is in the air flow somewhere on the air box. In my newer cars, behind the glovebox (fold plastic sides in to drop it down). In my 2002, it is actually a transistor circuit that serves the same purpose, but base models still used true resistors. The resistor pack doesn't usually die, but is murdered, so look for the real culprit like a clogged blower wheel.

Hmmm, I'll be watching this one, mine only comes out of the vents, no floor, no defrost.

badsport,
disconnect the battery for a half hour or so and check it when you reconnect it. My Sebring will do this once in awhile and a battery reset will cure it. Sometimes i think microsoft programs these things

......Thanks guys.....I'm not to worried about the fan speed, it seems fine, just not much airflow out the ducts..........kim.......

Kim if it works or doesnt work on some speeds, like members abv said it is the blwr mtr resistor. Good luck, let us know what the problem turns out to be.

The blend doors are made of plastic and they get worn out and don't move. My freind's 2004 2500 Ram has this problem. He has heat but no ac, and it's very expensive to fix.

No second speed is definitely your blower motor resistor.
Check voltage at blower motor at high and if you have battery voltage you are good,if not your ignition switch is bad and not letting full voltage to your blower motor.
The dodge rams are common to break blend doors.On your year model it has a metal door,plastic ones started in 2002.Find the actuator on the bottom the case and remove it,there is a plastic insert that goes between the metal door and the actuator.
This actuator is calibrated to the control head and sometimes goes out of time and can only be calibrated by factory scanner.
If the plastic insert is broken,I believe it only comes with a new actuator.
I know of an aftermarket company that sells metal ones and can tell you how to calibrate it without scanner,that stuff is on my shop computer.PM me and I will send you the info tomorrow.
TXDart

.............Run the truck today.......back to normal for the airflow.....on the A/C , but not on the heat.....dont know what the problem is yet, .......still need to change the resistor.......up here in Canada they want from $75.00-$100.00....any cheaper 1s down there............thanks for everyones input.......kim.....

.....I got the resistor installed, all speeds work now.....Got the heater treater fix...........just need 2 install it..........kim............

Was also thinking it's 2 problems. Resistor for speed issues and blend door problem for airflow. Sounds like door for air intake is closed. Closed normally only when in off or max air settings. I turn mine to off when I get out in winter to keep critters out, especially if your block heater is plugged in as they are drawn to the heater cores warmth.If you do have to get in deep to fix a blend door problem do the heater core at the same time. Job is mostly labour. Google the job for how to do it without discharging the AC lines.

*** Turn heater knob to off before shutting down engine as it is vacuum operated.

2002 1500 heat has been fine now i can start the truck to let it warm up and still no heat until i press the gas...what the h_ll is going on..i can drive this truck 40 miles and have good heat stop at a stop light or somewhere to run in a store or something and let it idle and no heat..any idea ???? sorry for the hi jack oldkimmer thanks mike:wack:

I would bet there is air in the system. See about adding some more coolant and burp it.

-
Back