NEED HOOD SPRINGS

-

downsr

Reaction score
Who sells low tension hood springs for a aar fiberglass hood on a 70 duster

i cant help you with who sells them, but if it helps you, i used hood springs from a 1998 jeep grand cherokee for my glasstek hemi hood for my barracuda, and they worked perfect

i cant help you with who sells them, but if it helps you, i used hood springs from a 1998 jeep grand cherokee for my glasstek hemi hood for my barracuda, and they worked perfect

Reviving an old thread here...
The 98 Grand Cherokee hood springs would be great since they’re quite cheap. Has anyone else tried this? Did you use the whole Cherokee spring/hinge assembly or just the springs?

Otherwise, what else have you guys used for light hoods?

I just called AAR Fiberglass who said that they can't help. They used to have a source for springs who no longer answers their phone. Among the alternate suggestions were to try to the original springs to see if they're tired enough to be ok...seems like cracks in the fiberglass would be the clue that they were too strong and I don't want to try that. They also suggested "hardware store hinges" but I'm not even sure what type they had in mind or how to select a tension... Or, heating/stretching my stock ones, which I don't want to to on the off chance that I might put my stock hood back on some day.

I'm starting to think again about the prop rod route. Where/how did you guys mount the rod? Any regrets?

If you're willing to modify your existing hinges, you can use gas springs to replace you existing springs its not that difficult.

If you're willing to modify your existing hinges, you can use gas springs to replace you existing springs its not that difficult.

I'm all ears. Can you link to one of these gas springs that would fit? I assume this is something different than a hydraulic hood strut...

I'm looking for good picture to send you of my hinges after they were modified.I used Guden gas springs, WWW.Guden.com, The springs come in various pressure, I wound up with 150 pounds springs for my hood. I think a Guden GGN-22-120-C would be about right for your car, but that just a guess. I'll get back to you with a picture. You can see my build if you like at "sneaking toward the finish line" in the member restoration forum.

MRGTX, Here are pictures of the modified hinge with the gas springs. The hinge I used was one off billet piece that I had CNC'd for the Dart. It is identical to a stamped hinge.

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpeg

Thanks, retroron! Very clean install.
So it looks like this just requires drilling two holes, correct?

That's is about it. It is critical to keep the gas spring parallel to the plane of the hinge. I wound up using a spacer block at the bottom to achieve that result. The other thing to notice is that the hinge hole is a little bit forward of the centerline at the bottom. That makes it a little easier to open and close.
At least this will give you an option.

-
Back