Need info to help me justify aftermarket strut rods ??

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The post's I've read about aftermarket strut rods on an A body don't seem (to me anyway) to explain why you would spend the time and $ to do it, that is what will u gain ? I'm correcting the lack of caster already with the off set UCA's

My set up:
70 Dart, slant six k frame

Factory Kelsey Hayes discs up front

Factory front sway bar

Gas shocks all the way around

PST 1.03 Torsion bars

Offset upper control arm bushings

Poly graphite bushings (yes, I'm going to install zerks where I can to lube them)

16:1 manual steering box

Last edited:
If you are going to run Poly LCA bushings you can NOT run OE strut rods. Can NOT. It’s unsafe.

The adjustable strut rod makes the car stop and drive better even with rubber LCA bushings. Poly bushings and OE strut rods are unsafe because the OE strut rod and it’s sloppy bushings will let the LCA slide on the LCA pin.

You mention offset control arms, then offset bushings, then not enuff caster.
With the offset bushings installed correctly, you should be able to achieve maybe +3* caster with straight parts, which is generally quite sufficient for a street daily driver.
Do you have the bushings installed correctly ?, Positioning the upper ball joint farther to the rear than stock.?
For roundy-round, I used to grind the rear washer stop, off the strut-rod, so I could run a dye down it, then use a "nut" as the rear strut stop, and adjust away to all the caster you want .! !
Cheers .

But you don't have to run poly LCA bushings. In which case you don't need the aftermarket strut rods.

-
Back