Need input on my 318 build!

-

dodgefreak8

Reaction score
well my 86 318 block goes in for machining tomorrow but I am still trying to piece this thing together. This is my build so far please tell me what you think:

'86 318 block would like to bore .020 over if that's all it needs
minimum decking just to clean it up

stock 302 heads gasket matched with valve job minimal milling w/ .039 head gaskets

KB167 pistons NOT ZERO DECKED

MP 4452759 camshaft with matching springs
Adv. Duration: .260°/268°
Dur. @ .050'': 221°/228°
Lift: .430''/.450''
Centerline: 110°
Basic RPM: 1200-5200 RPM

Edelbrock Performer intake with 1" spacer and a 575 speed demon carb

hedman headers

I am shooting for a compression ratio that I can still run 85 octane fuel on. I am hoping that by not zero decking the block I can get away with it. This combo is going in my '86 dodge w150 with an auto tranny and for the time being 3.21 gears. I might be changing to 3.91 gears if I go to 33" tires but for now thats what I have. I will also be running a hughes tow master torque converter I think its around 2200 stall.

well whats it look like?? any help would be great. thanks

see thats what sucks I won't know how far down in the hole they are until I buy them. I don't want to buy them if they aren't going to work. Its a crappy situation. I think I might just go with the factory 8.5:1 pistons and mill the heads to get my compression up a little. 33x12.5x15" tires this is a truck tire

see thats what sucks I won't know how far down in the hole they are until I buy them. I don't want to buy them if they aren't going to work. Its a crappy situation. I think I might just go with the factory 8.5:1 pistons and mill the heads to get my compression up a little. 33x12.5x15" tires this is a truck tire

Somewhere around 9:1 with stock pistons. 9.5:1 with an .028 head gasket.

Ya missed it Cheif, he said;
see thats what sucks I won't know how far down in the hole they are until I buy them.
He'll have to have the deck measured and go from there. He has no idea whats going on with the engine yet, he's just speculating.

I think I am just going to go with the stock pistons and measure the deck hight. I will figure my compression then and if needed mill the heads to raise it up to the 9:1 area. I was kind of just fishing to see if anyone had already done something similar so I had some numbers to go off of. thanks for all the input, I will ask more questions when I know more.

-
Back