need new clutch

-

Shenango

Reaction score
Anyone using a Brute Power clutch in their 340 cars? I see they are made by Borg Warner. The BW 4 speed in my 75 Vette is a great piece of machinery. Are their clutch kits just as good?
Thanks. Jerry

Anyone using a Brute Power clutch in their 340 cars? I see they are made by Borg Warner. The BW 4 speed in my 75 Vette is a great piece of machinery. Are their clutch kits just as good?
Thanks. Jerry
I don't know about the clutch, but I used to love their throw-out bearings.

Xnay in the bw clutch. Centerforce dual friction, mine has lasted 12 or so yrs now behind 2 340's, a 318 and now a 410.

Best clutch to hold the power on the street.

The CF clutch,on the street, is more clutch than most will ever need.
The CFII Disc is so ornnery it can break everything behind it, one piece atta time. So make sure your stuff back there is up to snuff, or stick to skinny tires.
With a 367 and 295s, I needed 7290 joints,a well set-up A833 non OD, and an 8.75rear, WITH a suregrip. Your 340 results may vary.....

I should have been more descriptive in my original post. My 70 Swinger 340 is 95% original or OEM. I don't care about 1/4 mile passes or tire melting light to light performance. What I do want is a smooth operating OEM style clutch kit that will hold up to some spirited driving and the occasional burn out. Any takers out there?
Jerry

I should have been more descriptive in my original post. My 70 Swinger 340 is 95% original or OEM. I don't care about 1/4 mile passes or tire melting light to light performance. What I do want is a smooth operating OEM style clutch kit that will hold up to some spirited driving and the occasional burn out. Any takers out there?
Jerry
Well then, I bought a very nice OEM clutch right from the Mopar dealer

Buy a diaphragm style clutch..... it is easier on everything. I am not sure what style the bw is.

I too have run the centerforce df. It is a great clutch.

Buy a diaphragm style clutch..... it is easier on everything. I am not sure what style the bw is.

I too have run the centerforce df. It is a great clutch.

In about 1975, long before "Al invented the internet" I had a 340 swapped into my '70RR (had been 440-6)
I put an OEM 10.5 diaphragm in used in a then late model corvette. The thing worked just great

Well then, I bought a very nice OEM clutch right from the Mopar dealer

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd call Brewers and order a simple B&B cover with 2400 pounds of base pressure (I think you can still get those if you ask) and a good rag disc and be done with it.

Don't trick screw yourself with marketing hype.

Jerry
Great Jerry, as I said ....buy a clutch once, buy a centerforce dual friction. The bw didn't hold my stock 340 with headers and intake, it slipped and died under 6 months...but if spirited driving is passing in the fast lane ...then it's your money, have fun.

Here's my advice go to AutoZone and buy their heavy duty stock replacement diaphragm clutch.
It took two years of heavy abuse with slicks at the racetrack to finally make it start slipping in 4th gear. Spend your money the way you want to but it doesn't sound like you need anything more than just a regular heavy duty stock clutch. And don't go to the dealership and pay twice as much for the same thing you'll get at Autozone.
Jerry

I took that stock clutch to a friction shop here in town and he showed me the Chevy stock numbers on the clutch also as it's the same one just a different spline count.

Yes, I love DP. They should have let Jay Livingston run it when he wanted to do it.
we had a place in Seattle, called Friction Service. They were great. I remember one guy, (Flying)Phil used to save for me all the good HD clutch and pressure plate cores, like Zoom, Perfection American, Bogus Warner, etc. He'd custom build stuff for me all the time. I loved that place.

After 6 weeks of working on the Dart with way too many distractions I have it back on the road again. I picked a Mcleod Street Pro diaphragm unit from Summit. I have been driving it for 2 weeks now and I must say it is a pleasure to have a well operating clutch in my car. The Street Pro has plenty of hook up power and is smooth as silk even going in to reverse. The biggest pain in the whole process was getting the over center spring out. It turned out that the old clutch was not the main problem but the clutch fork pivot was broken nearly in two.
20170813_132532.jpg

I guess Bubba didn't know when you try to weld a case hardened part it will sooner or later break next to the weld every time. I sure am glad I found this break before it failed out on the road 50 miles from home. Thanks to everyone for their help and opinions.
Jerry

-
Back