Need. Photo of 66 273 auto carb linkage

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a photo or two of the factory carb linkage at the carb showing a good kick down and throttle set up for a 66’ 273 4bbl.

im missing parts and pulling hair out trying to find my originals when I don’t know what they look like.

thank you. And also I have a FSM.... at home but I’m with my car at a secrete location lol!

Are you using the original setup with the flapper mounted to the rear of the drivers side head? That setup is a “hard rod” setup with no slider at the carb, and has been known to lock up at full throttle, creating a very dangerous situation. I can look through my paperwork and find a factory picture of it, but I did change mine to the later style 3 piece kickdown for the above mentioned reasons.

I’m looking for a photo or two of the factory carb linkage at the carb showing a good kick down and throttle set up for a 66’ 273 4bbl.

im missing parts and pulling hair out trying to find my originals when I don’t know what they look like.

thank you. And also I have a FSM.... at home but I’m with my car at a secrete location lol!
This is rhe best i can do today ,i can send more next week

DSCF1903.JPG

Here's some photos I took a while back of a genuine '66 Barracuda Formula S setup. The bell crank on the back of the head is unique to '66 4bbl. I can get more photos if you need them.

carbstud.jpg

carbstud2.jpg

kickdown3.jpg

Cudamark- YES! That is what I have.
66’ Formula S. I have all but that unique ball and throttle cable bolt. All linkage for the throttle (kick down ) pressure is there but I cannot find the special bolt. I guess I can make one easy enough. I do own a welding shop. LOL! It hard to fabricate that when you can only in vision the slide style above.

The carb is missing that special shaft. I believe the 63-66 904 does not have part throttle kick down so it (slide style)is not needed. Any of the transmission gurus can chime in on that. Thank you again.
Syleng1

Are you using the original setup with the flapper mounted to the rear of the drivers side head? That setup is a “hard rod” setup with no slider at the carb, and has been known to lock up at full throttle, creating a very dangerous situation. I can look through my paperwork and find a factory picture of it, but I did change mine to the later style 3 piece kickdown for the above mentioned reasons.
Cosgig- “lock up at full throttle”
Am I understanding that if you hammer it hard it will do what I call “over camming” and hold the throttle open? Is this what you are referring too? And Thank you for your comment. And “Yes” I have the complete set up for the behind the head mount set up as described for 66’ formula S.

Should be the same ball stud for all the '64-6 automatics, both 2bbl. and 4bbl.

I have a ball from a /6 carb throttle that fits the socket properly I’m going to cut that off and weld it to a factory 2bbl carb throttle shaft and cut off the end. That should do it unless someone has a proper one they are willing to sell.

Am I understanding that if you hammer it hard it will do what I call “over camming” and hold the throttle open? Is this what you are referring too? And Thank you for your comment. And “Yes” I have the complete set up for the behind the head mount set up as described for 66’ formula S.

yep, that’s why that style was discontinued in favor of the slider bar that rides on the stem at the carb.

So this is the setup i need also

If you're going for a Concours type restoration, then yes.

If you're driving it and showing at local shows and cruise-ins than keep what you have. Nobody will know the difference.

I hadn't heard about the chance the solid transmission linkage could jam until @cosgig mentioned it above. I kept the original solid rod on my 5.9 build. Now I'm always going to be worried (Thanks Geoff, lol).

Sounds like you're safer with the slotted rod.

@George Jets the 66 273 had a solid rod from the head bellcrank to the carb. This is the best picture I can find, but if you zoom you can see.

The Edelbrock adapter required an extension.

I’m wondering now....

the ball solid style 273 4bbl kick down end socket screws on. The 67’ slide style also unscrews. I believe both are 1/4”-28 thread. I wonder if i can swap the ball for the screw- add a spring and get the slide I need but keep the current linkage. Or just add a spring to my current set up and eliminate the chance for over extension.

If you're going for a Concours type restoration, then yes.

If you're driving it and showing at local shows and cruise-ins than keep what you have. Nobody will know the difference.

I hadn't heard about the chance the solid transmission linkage could jam until @cosgig mentioned it above. I kept the original solid rod on my 5.9 build. Now I'm always going to be worried (Thanks Geoff, lol).

Sounds like you're safer with the slotted rod.
Ya my car is just a really nice driver

DSCF1929.JPG

I read somewhere that the production throttle linkage was changed to the "slider" type mid-year 1966 because of the potential safety issue.

yep, that’s why that style was discontinued in favor of the slider bar that rides on the stem at the carb.

I actually had this happen a few weeks ago. I floored the accelerator wide open on a two lane road and the kickdown popped off the transmission linkage and jammed against the header. It was jammed so tight the return spring couldn't pull it back. Fortunately, I had enough room and time to turn the switch off, slow down and pull off to the side of the road. It was a rather scary couple of seconds. Needless to say, I will probably be switching to the slider type linkage in the near future since I have one laying around (I think) even though I have fixed the "linkage popping off issue"

I actually had this happen a few weeks ago. I floored the accelerator wide open on a two lane road and the kickdown popped off the transmission linkage and jammed against the header. It was jammed so tight the return spring couldn't pull it back. Fortunately, I had enough room and time to turn the switch off, slow down and pull off to the side of the road. It was a rather scary couple of seconds. Needless to say, I will probably be switching to the slider type linkage in the near future since I have one laying around (I think) even though I have fixed the "linkage popping off issue"

wow that’s scary, I’ve never heard this style locking up before Geoff mentioned it! I would definitely go to the newer style kickdown!

-
Back