need plastic rechromed

-

hosehead

Reaction score
Can any of you guys recommend a good place to send my a body rallye dash for rechroming. I've heard some horror stories about mr. g's. Never sent a dash out to be done. Also, what could I expect to pay. Thanks in advance, hosehead.:glasses7:

I was pondering the same on my 68 Dart. I used Auto Instruments and wasn't happy. I took almost a year to get back and was damaged. I price the Dart and it is just as cheap to buy a repop.

There's a place called "Vacum Platers" in Washington State you should call.
(877) 763-2323
Long gone......the link I posted is to another shop in Washington, about 45 minutes from me. I spoke to him not to long ago & he said he still has the radio/heater delete plates for 67-69 Darts, both the standard & deluxe styles. Will be going to visit him shortly....

My dad had all his 1966 Barracuda plastic dash bezels and arm rest bases rechromed by Mr. G's, they turned out great except they didn't paint the area by the speedo and tach black like the factory did so he painted it himself, they painted it silver. It was done in the early 90's and still looks sweet.

But I doubt that NOW the parts YOU send to Mr G's are they same ones you get sent back, they probably have a large inventory of plated parts ready to ship now, like a core exchange.

Drop Michael Mancini
vintageignition@yahoo.com a note. He has done lots for me and has treated me right and first rate workmanship
Sorry, but I´ve got very bad experience with M Mancini and Vintage ignition.
He performed a resto of the instrument cluster for my -66 Barracuda.
Not only that it took almost a year to finish the job, he didn´t want to ship the cluster to Sweden although I already paid for the shipping.
Also the quality of the job was very poor at least for the $1100 I had to pay for the job including shipping.
Fortunately Ben aka GTXperince rushed in and saved me from disaster by taking action against Mr Mancini. Ben helped me with the shipping to Sweden.
Mike would not be my first choice.

Not only that it took almost a year to finish the job, he didn´t want to ship the cluster to Sweden although I already paid for the shipping.
Also the quality of the job was very poor at least for the $1100 I had to pay for the job including shipping.
Fortunately Ben aka GTXperince rushed in and saved me from disaster by taking action against Mr Mancini. Ben helped me with the shipping to Sweden.
Why do shops act like this at times?? You prepaid hm for the shipping, what the hell....at least someone stepped up to help you out.....

American Classic Restorations Inc. You won't be dissapointed! I had my 69 Dart speedo cluster, heater and radio cluster rechromed and painted. Looked better than it did when it was new. 6 years into the resto and NO issures whatsoever! I was very pleased!

I delivered and picked up my stuff from Glenn at G-Car in Washington State. Great guy, fair and quality work. I highly reccommend him.

Attachments

• Dash 001.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 414
  • Dash 002.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 398
I've done a bunch of business with Mr. G's over the years and have always been satisfied with their work. I can also attest that they probably don't have many cores anymore and will probably redo yours. They stopped taking cores many years ago, partly because there are so many armrest bases being repopped, and also because there are not a lot of used cluster and dash bezels available anymore. Here is a pic of Wendy's dash with all Mr. G's items!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_3549.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 100_3551.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 383
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Also, curious about the price if any of you care to divulge. And yes, I have dealt w/ Ben too. Had a hiccup (my fault) on a deal where I was buying a motor from him and he was super cool about it. All hail Ben!:tonqe:

I can't attest to the current price of getting a dash bezel set completely redone, but I think it's around $450.00 just for the dash bezel of a 66 Cuda, and another $175.00 or so for the other 3 pieces. And, I believe thats not including anything to do with the lenses at all, not re-lettering, painting of the center cone or polishing the lense. I think way back when I got Wendy's dash done I paid something in the $350.00 range for everything, with a few cores to turn in to help offset the cost!! Geof

Sorry to hear that, Sounds like Mike and it takes a long long time. I'm waiting to pick up my 69 Valiant dash at the depot and will let eveyone know how it turned out.

Lenny, I do not appreciate you continuing to bad mouth my company. This has already been discussed and put to bed over on the Cuda-Challenger website 2 years ago!

You are not telling the entire story here. Instrument Specialties has an impecable reputation for quality and service.

Everyone concerned can read here http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=51029.135

Lenny provided an undelivereable address in Sweden to which the package was denied twice and returned to the US twice! The 2nd return, the package was damaged. We purchased a replacement bezel, re-restored it at no charge and finally shipped the package to a friend in the US that mailed packages to Lenny on a regular basis... We did nothing wrong, bent over backwards for this customer and this is what we get.. badmouthed on a public forum....unreal.

I wouldn't exactly call a friendly phone conversation with your friend in CA to coordinate shipping to him so that he could forward the package to you "taking action against me". You are entirely misleading all viewers of this thread.

Buying the reproduction bezel may be your best route. Here's why..
The rallye bezel has a very long brim across the top. There is a tin heat shield above it but after 40 + years that brim would sag or get wavy. If yours isn't wavy now, it might become wavy by the time it is preped for replating. Correcting any defects in the plastic is very time consuming / expensive. End of the day, restoration usually costs as much or more than a new reproduction.
Those who have been in the restoration business for many years, like Glen at Mr.G's, can tell you what parts are stable and suitable for restore and what parts are not when inquiring for any brand be it Chrysler, Ford, Chevy, whatever.
All I'm stating is what I know about which catagory our Chrysler A-body rallye panels fall into. This knowledge comes from lengthy conversations with Glen, Charles at CVPlaters, and several others a couple of years ago, and my personal experience.

-
Back