Need respirator recommendations

-
I was re-reading your post and I’m not sure what you mean by using “a good black/solvent with purple HEPA filter.” I know what a HEPA filter is. Is purple the color code for them? What are you referring to when you say “a good black/solvent?” Storing the cartridges in a bag is a good tip which I intend to use. Thanks for your help on this.
Sorry I didn't put more details in, but you are correct about the colors. Black is for organic solvents, purple is for filtering out fine particles. Also cartridges can last up to 8 hours in a single use. Notice I said CAN. Heavy concentrations of fumes will shorten that time.

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. Are low VOC urethanes less toxic?
From my understanding, no. VOC means volatile organic compounds, basically solvents. Urethanes talks about the resin system used. They use isocyanates to cause the paint to harden. Remember Bhopal India? Water was somehow put in a tank containing cyanates. CO2 was released and suffocated a bunch of the people that lived there. Anything you breath in from paint is bad for you. The more, the worse it gets.

Not that it's safe or anything but I've only seen a couple of painters on any of the shows on Motortrend that use fresh air systems. The majority look like they use standard 3m respirators.

Not that it's safe or anything but I've only seen a couple of painters on any of the shows on Motortrend that use fresh air systems. The majority look like they use standard 3m respirators.
There's a big difference when painting in a $70k downdraft booth and one's garage when it comes to lack of airflow and exposure levels.

Last edited:
Your skin and eyeballs can absorb Iso's so in addition to a mask you need a paint suit, head covering, gloves, eye protection.
8 hours on the filters is correct with what I have be trained on. That's paint time use hours. The pre filters get removed and the charcoal filters go in a sealed plastic bag until next use. Don't leave them sitting around exposed as the cartridge is being consumed.

8 hours max, but if you can smell the paint, or it takes more effort to breath, meaning the filters are getting plugged. The cartridges we used had the HEPA and organic solvent together. The fresh air system is a whole different animal. They use air from the compressors for breathing. It has filters in place to remove oils and moisture. Also a CO2 monitor. You plug in right after the monitor. Basically creating a positive pressure zone that keeps out any harmful fumes, supposedly. I have also seen the smaller battery operated masks that uses the self contained system. I've never used them, but those that dumped the strontium chromate into the batch had them.

I use a 3m full face with 6003 cartridge and disposable pre-filters, for extra protection you can use a small amount of Vaseline where the mask contacts your face, The human eyeball is the easiest absorption point in the human body and is a direct connection to the central nervous system. Change the pre-filters between every coat.
You should never breath air from your compressor as it will contain oil , all fresh air systems have oil-less compressors for a good reason ! VOC poisoning is a very real and deadly problem, I had the pleasure of meeting the first person in Canada who was forced to retire by WCB , nice guy but very f**ked up with seizures. Yes I spray epoxy and urethane paints/primers and have for many years. I think I'm normal lol

Who cares how much a fresh air system costs. I've asked the same questions about filters etc. and only got "opinions". And although I appreciate opinions, not enough to risk my health. Spraying is ****, plain and simple. Spend a grand on a good fresh air system and don't look back. Most of the health problems won't show up until you want to spend time with your grand kids.

Who cares how much a fresh air system costs. I've asked the same questions about filters etc. and only got "opinions". And although I appreciate opinions, not enough to risk my health. Spraying is ****, plain and simple. Spend a grand on a good fresh air system and don't look back. Most of the health problems won't show up until you want to spend time with your grand kids.
"good" is subjective . What system are you using?

I ended up buying a Honeywell 86610 with a north full face mask with good intentions. I also picked up a nose cup that accepts the air feed hoses that fit nicely under my welding helmet. To be honest, the thought of the chemicals scared the hell out of me so I figured fresh air was best as I couldn't get a straight answer on the filters.....or how log they lasted for that matter. LOL....I sprayed one cup of urethane paint with my new hvlp gun and I never touched it again. I'll pay, and leave the spraying to the pro's with the right equipment.

-
Back