Need some opinions

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have an original 67 383/ 4 speed fastback.
I purchased it a few years ago and done a mechanical restoration, the body and paint were already done, but definitely not period correct. I'll attach a pic.
I've been thinking I should redo the body and paint but I'm not a fan of the original PP1 red that originally was painted on this car. Being a numbers matching car ( well you know all in the correct date range) would I be doing the car an injustice by painting it a different colour?
I like the other red colours like R6 red or viper red.
The other thing is the car has maroon/ red interior, so I think red on red is too much red.
I love black cars with the red interior, but I'm not sure if it's the best thing for it.

DSC_0088.JPG

How many times are you going to post the same question? Three times in 3 minutes?
Having problems with the computer?
Red on red Can look really nice though!

Hi guys,
I have an original 67 383/ 4 speed fastback.
I purchased it a few years ago and done a mechanical restoration, the body and paint were already done, but definitely not period correct. I'll attach a pic.
I've been thinking I should redo the body and paint but I'm not a fan of the original PP1 red that originally was painted on this car. Being a numbers matching car ( well you know all in the correct date range) would I be doing the car an injustice by painting it a different colour?
I like the other red colours like R6 red or viper red.
The other thing is the car has maroon/ red interior, so I think red on red is too much red.
I love black cars with the red interior, but I'm not sure if it's the best thing for it.

View attachment 1715031925
How many times are you going to post the same question? Three times in 3 minutes?
Having problems with the computer?
Red on red Can look really nice though!
Yeah, computer issues sorry :(

If you are keeping the car, paint it whatever color you want.
If you plan to sell the car in the future, paint it the original color. (It will be worth more).
Simple as that..........

i dont mind what color you paint it...if you dont replace those bumpers with chromed ones it will always look like a cheap flipjob

My favorite A-body was a 1970 Duster 340 4 speed I drove in high school. It was red on red on red, etc.

If you are planning a full nut and bolt restoration and making it a trailer queen, do all the research and make it just like it came from the factory. This will net the most money when you sell the car. If you are looking to do a nice driver restoration and you don't like the color combo, change it to one that is more pleasing to you but is a true factory combo. In some cases it really won't hurt the value at all if the original color was undesirable. If you are building the car for yourself paint it however you want it can always be put back to original in the future.
That being said my opinion is find that factory combo you like and enjoy. It's a good middle ground.

If you are planning a full nut and bolt restoration and making it a trailer queen, do all the research and make it just like it came from the factory. This will net the most money when you sell the car. If you are looking to do a nice driver restoration and you don't like the color combo, change it to one that is more pleasing to you but is a true factory combo. In some cases it really won't hurt the value at all if the original color was undesirable. If you are building the car for yourself paint it however you want it can always be put back to original in the future.
That being said my opinion is find that factory combo you like and enjoy. It's a good middle ground.
This

Anything will be better than the way it is now......the E body treatment doesn't work for me .I think black with the red interior would be a great combo.

My GTS is also PP1. Due to its rarity it will stay that color, but it is not my favorite red. Also, the car may never leave the family, so resale is not an issue.

Value wise it will be worth more the original color if that matters.

Only if the rest of it is original as well....and....you find someone that wants a correct resto version of this car.

This also implies you plan to sell it. Do you plan to sell it? I think you'll find the difference between a well done OEM version of your car and a well done non stock version are pretty damn close in value.

Which makes you happier and which would you enjoy more? We aren't talking about that valuable of a car here, I'd make it the way you want it, especially given the cost of a quality paint job. If you are going to skimp on paint the car won't be worth **** anyhow. Decisions, decisions....

yea not sure what thats supposed to mean.. its either numbers matching or it isn't.
i think he means because in 67, they hadnt started putting the vins onto the blocks and transmissions yet. That came in 1968. So the only way to get close to being able to "numbers match" a drive train to the car before then is by the build dates/casting dates/numbers that are in the block, trans etc. but its not a true "vin numbers matched" car.

Imo I think you should paint it the color you want and are happy with. A good example to me is right here in my own home, my older son drives a 68 Fury-III that has been in the family since new, it's a numbers matching 99% original car (new aluminum radiator) and he is always stressing about finding the right numbers parts and the cost that comes with it. My other son is building a big block duster and is not concerned about numbers, values to other people, resale etc. And is building a car he can enjoy stress free. Not that my son with the fury would ever sell either, and he certainly enjoys and loves driving his car. Build, paint and enjoy your car the way you want it. My .2 worth.

no offense but a big old fury and a duster is no comparison to an original big block barracuda...
yeah but its already been repainted once so its not a survivor/all original car, so if he would want to sell it, stripping it and repainting original colors isnt gonna take much

the point is that redoing the car is totally different then a cbody or run of the mill duster. if done correctly the return on an original big block barracuda will be far greater then the other cars.

bottom line is if the OP is concerned about value then the original colors are preferred. if not worried about all the value and doesn't ever plan on selling it then paint it pink for all anyone cares..
:)

Lol, I wasn't comparing the values of a big old fury and run of the mill duster to a big block barracuda. I was giving an opinion as he asked for on wether or not he should be concerned about value vs personalizing his car with a different color. Obviously neither the fury or the duster would compare value wise to a factory big block barracuda. That being said, abodyjoe is right about one thing it's already non original and painting it any color at this point is really not going to change its numbers matched value. Besides like the fury, duster or the yugo I think abodyjoe secretly drives(lol, just kidding) it's your car, build it or paint it whatever makes you happy.

or the yugo I think abodyjoe secretly drives(lol, just kidding)

no secret.. our daily drivers are a 2015 honda fit (mine) and a 2016 subaru outback(family car). before the fit it was a 2007 toyota yaris hatchback and before that it was a 2001 toyota echo.. 80 mile round trip for work.. i want reliable mpg...:)

Lol. I can't say anything to that as our daily driver for mpg is a 2016 kia soul. Before that though it was a 99 plymouth gran voyager minivan. I guess at least it was at least a plymouth. Haha.

-
Back