Need some suggertions

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally got to the the engine and tore it down. The motor has a strange piston that maybe someone here can ID. It is a 0.30 over dish top that is .028 down in the hole, but it has a raised part or tiny dome on the top that is .042 above the deck? I attached a photo. I also found out it was a balnced bottom end with 0.10/ 0.10 cast crank, Windage tray ,HV oil pump. Bearings and cylinders look great ( It ran great in the car, just didn't have much balls) so I will be using the short block as is. I was going to cc the heads but havn't yet. They are 2.02 J heads so I would guess the cc at 68- 70. The man that built or had this motor built, passed away so, this is the first time I know for sure what was in it. Here are some of the details, I'm looking to get 9-9.5 compression Maybe cutting the heads. Let me know what you all think. This is a 69 Dart 727 auto with a factory high stall convertor, and a 3.21 sg rear. just a cruiser not a racer, Oh and it wil have CPPA headers and 2 1/2 thru Magnaflow mufflers.
Some facts
4.030 bore
.028 in hole but the top portion is .042 positive
cam was installed at 112 degres, I checked it
Hughes HE2430 AL cam
Felpro 8553 PT gaskets
Gasket ID 4.195
compessed thickness .050
The lower end was ballanced, I can see the rod caps ground on and the piston bottoms with drilled holes and the crank throws have extra drill marks.
This what I'm after, A little more muscle to my muscle car, though this engine ran great, sounded great. It just doesn't make decent power. Leaving the short block alone since it is a good foundation What kind of mods do you think I should do. And WHAT KIND OF PISTONS ARE THESE?
Thanks for your time and suggestions.

piston 360.jpg

I would venture a guess that with where those pistons are sitting and the step portion you are already over 9:1 compression.

I would venture a guess that with where those pistons are sitting and the step portion you are already over 9:1 compression.

With these pistons it makes cutting the 2.02 heads almost imposible, the cast part around the intake valve comes real close to this raised part of the piston. I guess that is why they used thick head gaskets. In my opion this is a poor piston design.

Seen a setup with this cam with 9.9:1 on Edelbrock heads, Performer Air Gap manifold, & Edelbrock 750 put our nearly 400 hp, 460 ft/lbs of torque. The HE2430 is a pretty aggressive cam for a cruiser. Peak torque came in @ 3800 rpm, peak power @ 5500 rpm. With the gear you're running, it probably takes it a while to get into the power band. Suggest less cam or more rear gear (3.91 +)

-
Back