Need to replace my valve seals who what where?

-

mag162

Reaction score
My 69 barracuda was in storage indoors for 14 years. After getting her running she smokes. Before getting into a full rebuild I’ve decided to replace the valve seals in the heads. It’s a 318 4 spd AC car.
Can you guys point me in the right direction for the correct parts?

After sitting that long it is very possible that the rings need to re-seat. I would drive it for a few hundred miles or more and see if it continues to smoke or not, by then the rings should re-seat, then you can proceed from there.

Hell, I have a bunch of sets from building engines, They come with full gasket sets from Felpro. Let me know I'll send you a set for free! 65'

Those valve seals usually turn to rocks and end up in the oil pan. You can get the plastic ones for like $5 but im not sure how long they would last. They look super cheap to me.

It's not hard to do. Just get a fitting that will screw in the spark plug hole to hook an air hose to. Remove all of the spark plugs and do one cylinder at a time. Stuff plenty of rags in the drain back openings in the head, in case you drop a keeper. It's more time consuming than it is hard. You can also stuff a length of small rope in the cylinder you're working on, and roll that cylinder to TDC. The rope will hold the valves closed or close to it so you can change the seals. I like the air method better, because you will need to smack the valve spring compressor to get the retainer and keepers to turn loose of each other. Good luck with it. :)

-
Back