Need to trim fenders on a 64 dart ?

-

Deleted Member

Reaction score
Welp good news , I got the fresh wheel and tires for the dart . Bad news is that I rub on the passenger front fender when turning. Only on that side , only on the front fender lip

Should I hold off on cutting the fender on the passenger side until the front end is rebuilt and aligned? The driver side looks like it's been cut back in the past as you can see in the pic . It's real close and the front suspension is quite worn. The rears for no issues. The tires are about 1in taller than stock , I couldn't get a whitewall (girlfriend requirement) in the stock size that wasn't a no name brand

15x7 wheel vintiques 4x5 rally wheel
205/70r15 Toyo

I'm hoping the suspension is just out of wack ? It drove nicely down the road on the shot 13s/tires with a slight alignment issue/pull. All the suspension bushings looks old as hell .they are all on order.

IMG_20190702_192721.jpg

IMG_20190702_192705.jpg

IMG_20190702_192742.jpg

IMG_20190702_192730.jpg

IMG_20190702_192654.jpg

Leave it alone until you rebuild the front end. Stuff moves around quite a bit when its worn.

Case in point, when I bought the wagon, it needed front wheel bearings. The left front growled the whole trip home, and every time I hit the brakes, that tire would rub on the fender. New wheel bearings with no slop cured the rubbing.

I am running 14 inch steel wheels on mine and have 215/70/14's on the rear but had to go to 195/70/14's on the front of my 63. I had a similar issue where one side rubbed more than the other. IIRC my issue was with the passenger front more than drivers as well. My front end is fairly tight. There could be a very slight adjustment difference on how your fender sits, slight suspension offset from factory, any number of small differences that can add up explaining why one side rubs and the other doesn't. If I were you I'd try to find a smaller size or definitely trim as if you rub now you definitely run the risk if you hit a bump while backing up and turning slightly even a tight suspension will have some movement and you run the risk of tearing up a fender.

Beautiful car by the way

could up grade T bars with front end rebuild /I would do front end first

Thanks for all the comments. Ill be rebuilding the front end/alignment first then if needed roll or cut the bottom of the front fenders to allow for clearance. ill keep the the thread updated.

Could have been avoided if i went with a narrower rim of slightly smaller tires but, i measured to the best of my ability.

Car id say presents well but is truly a 15footer at best. Lost of bondo and misaligned panels. Both front and rear bumpers are tweaked. Any suggestions on pounding out bumper dents besides wood and sandbags?

-
Back