Need your opinion. To rebuild or run as is?

What to do with the axle

• Total voters
-

Carlb87

Reaction score
Hello, so I have an 8.25 rear end that I want to put in my 74 duster. I know now would be the time to rebuild it before its installed but I'm on a budget. I have about 1k to do the swap but that includes wheels and tires since it's a different bolt pattern. A little history on the axle, it came out of a same year car that sat in a feild for many years. Outside has surface rust but the inside doesn't have any. So my question is if it was you, would you run it as is (just rebuild the brakes) or would you tear it all down and put new Bearings and seals through out?

20180815_144907.jpg

I would run it as is. Since you are on a budget, I would run it as, except for changing axle tube seals, until you have good reason to do otherwise.

Thanks! I was really feeling that I it wouldn't be smart to put it in without a total rebuild, but I haven't done any swaps like this. I wasn't sure the likelyhood of something being wrong with it. But I figured you guys would know best. I'll look it over the best I can without tearing it down and if nothing stands out I'll do the maintenance you all suggested and the brakes and run it.

All i can say is check your backlash,cant recall spec, but if i recall it can be adjusted.

Drop it in, and smoke those tires! Chrysler has the toughest rearends I always swap them in and chirp away

.008 - .010 I believe.
And you can feel that without an indicator. A couple new seals, spray it out with some break clean, pop on the cover with a new gasket and fill her with the proper amount of regular 80-90. Don't forget the brakes. I don't know about the 8 1/4's. Do you have to pack the axle bearings like the 8 3/4's?

Go with a 9 inch Ford. Don't waste your time on that old rearend.

And you can feel that without an indicator. A couple new seals, spray it out with some break clean, pop on the cover with a new gasket and fill her with the proper amount of regular 80-90. Don't forget the brakes. I don't know about the 8 1/4's. Do you have to pack the axle bearings like the 8 3/4's?

Nope, they supposedly get oil from cornering.:D
Not really, but that's how I feel about them.
Just fill it and go.

I feel the same about the backlash, as 1/4 inch back and forth click of the outer edge of the ujoint saddle is just fine.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Really glad most of you said it would be fine because I ended up needing a radiator. Ordered and received my axel parts a couple weeks ago, but have been too busy to start until today. Opened her up and break cleaned her out looked over the axel bearings and not pitted and no bluing. So slapped a new pair of axle seals and a new cover gasket. Removed and blew out the breather, thankfully that was suggested I probably would have missed that and I found something in it. Filled with new fluid and wire brushes it an put rust converter on. I have new wheel studs arriving in the morning so hopefully get those in and rebuild the brakes and put a coat of paint on then I'll be ready to try and fit her in. Also have to put the new radiator in so it will be drivable.

20180906_143639.jpg

20180906_153112.jpg

20180906_153132.jpg

20180906_175517.jpg

20180906_181425.jpg

-
Back