Needed - Photo of OE drive shaft 1967 Dart with 8 3/4 rear

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy or duplicate a 1967 Dart drive shaft for 273 4V and 8 3/4 OE application.

What I have deduced.
1. It used small U-Joints on both ends.
2. It is the same length regardless of transmission (3 spd, 4 spd or automatic)
3. it measures 52.58 cL to cL from shop manual (I have seen one parts book that listed it at ~52.25)
4. It is 3 in dia
5. I assume it is turned down on the pinion end, not sure about the transmission end
6. The 68 & 69 use large u joints both ends

If anyone has an original unmodified 67 Dart that was equiped with HP 273 4V with 8 3/4, I would appreciate a photo of the drive shaft at the trans end and at the pinion end.

Thanks

Are you sure they ever even came that way? Mine was a 7 1/4 with 273 2bbl. I have the shaft "somewhere." If you think it would help I will try and find it. "No guarantees"

Are you sure they ever even came that way?
Ya, most had 7 1/4 but the HP 273 with 4bbl came with 8 3/4 and towing package as I understand also. Later in 67 run they introduced the GTS with the 383 and it had the 8 3/4. My dart is also a 273 2bbl with 7 1/4 and the drive shaft has the rubber isolater near the pinion end but it is not directly compatible.

have a driveshaft shop make one

That's the plan if I cant get an OE for the right price but I need to know what they looked like. Tapered at both ends? straight at the trans, tapered at the pinion? straight at both ends?

Sorry after I red your post again I think this is the same one you already have :(

Thats a rubber isolation model. See the nested end? Your not shortening that puppy more than 2-3 inches. That era Mustangs run the same style. For that price, Id snag it.

For that price, Id snag it.
did you notice the shipping! I like the tag line "1 year only" Why did my dad have to buy a 67 couldn't he have driven the 54 Chevy one 7 more months! So many 67 parts are unique to 67.

I had full intentions of looking for my old shaft. I spent the entire afternoon dealing with about 10" of incredibly wet snow. I am absolutely beat!!!......and now it's dark LOL

I think your snow is heading my way Monday (figures that's the day I decided to take off to go skiing with my daughetr!) So you don't waste precious snow shoveling time ;^) . Is the shaft you are looking for the OE 7 1/4 shaft or an OE 8 3/4 shaft. If it is the 7 1/4 shaft I have one for reference already.

Thanks

I HAD to get this taken care of because they are forecasting REALLY cold temps. This was REALLY heavy snow, in fact it rained late this afternoon as I was finishing up. So when that freezes............

wxr.jpg

upload_2018-2-17_22-36-57.png

I hate cement snow and even worse rain then freezing temperatures so you get ice under the new snow. Slip sliding away! ;^)

-
Back