Neutral balance to a 360 crank?

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Either LA or Magnum. I have a couple of them around (currently stock as originally manufactured) and would like to balance them like a 318 withOUT buying a new aftermarket crank.
How doable is it?

You can do it. The drawback is the amount of mallory metal and it ain't cheap. lol I've done a LA 360 and a 416 in the distant past.

As noted, Mallory Metal will be expensive. The other way is to use light rods (Eagle/Scat I-beam) and light, flat-top pistons (SRP, Probe, etc.).

It will approximately 3 sticks of Mallory metal. That’s $300.00. Same amount to install them. $600.00 into a used cast crank doesn’t sound like a good plan to me. Then u would of had it turned so another couple of hundred there at least. Kim

I have used KB107 pistons that weight 507 grams, plus Scat I beams rods that weight 585 grams....and the 360 cast crank still took a slug of mallory metal to balance.

I think I got about 4 360 cranks internally balanced....

How much is in a stick of Mallory metal? Have heard of this stuff over the years, always that it is expensive. have no experience with it

Last edited:
How much is in a stick of Mallory metal? Have heard of this stuff over the years, always that it is expensive. Boy have no experience with it

You have to account for the additional time (cost) required to drill crank and press slugs into crank....some take more then one slug depending on the weight of the pistons and rods.

best to just get a new crank they are not that expensive these days

Just use this balance plate, then you can use a neutral balance torque converter or. Flywheel. Used this on my 360 when breaking it in in the run stand with a 318 neutral balance flywheel so I could run the starter.

Ran out fine no odd vibrations.

Screenshot_20210620-080715_Chrome.jpg

Summit sells them, might want to get 1/8" longer grade 8 crank bolts if using a flywheel. Starter still engages just fine.

Wanted to buy a small AC unit last week.

Made in Indonesia or
Made in Chy-Nah

Indonesia won out.

Mallory metal on Summit starts at around 25 bucks. It just all depends on how much you need. As mentioned, using lighter rods and pistons will cut down on it.

Well I think the rods are the same between LA and magnum, but I've heard that magnum pistons are lighter than LA ones.
Here's the part that I don't understand/
From the factory 273,318 and all but the last 2 years of the 340 were internal balance. Why did they have to change 340 to external (and a different balance factor at that) and why did they design the 360 as external? What would be the advantage?
Same engine family, you'd think they'd be the same all the way thru in that sense as well. Stupid.
And if I have a stock engine, I can go down to the local parts store and order a crank kit and get a crank that came out of some other engine of same CID as mine and it'll be fine. The replacement crank won't have to be rebalanced to my particular engine. Yet when I go to have something balanced they want all the parts that will rotate/move with the crank brought with to the machine shop. So if I change pistons later I'm all out of whack and back to square one. Why can't they balance just the crank then?

Well I think the rods are the same between LA and magnum, but I've heard that magnum pistons are lighter than LA ones.
From the factory 273,318 and all but the last 2 years of the 340 were internal balance. Why did they have to change 340 to external (and a different balance factor at that) and why did they design the 360 as external? What would be the advantage?
Same engine family, you'd think they'd be the same all the way thru in that sense as well. Stupid.
And if I have a stock engine, I can go down to the local parts store and order a crank kit and get a crank that came out of some other engine of same CID as mine and it'll be fine. The replacement crank won't have to be rebalanced to my particular engine. Yet when I go to have something balanced they want all the parts that will rotate/move with the crank brought with to the machine shop. So if I change pistons later I'm all out of whack and back to square one. Why can't they balance just the crank then?
In our case 273 318 340 and 360 rods are all interchangeable.at least within LA engines and magnum engines even if not between them.

All 273/318/340 that were internally balanced have different bob weights. 273/318 are pretty close. The 340 has a way heavier piston and so the crank needed to be lighter. So different bob weight. You can tell a 340 forged crank by it having the front and rear journals drilled with a 1 inch hole.You can’t randomly switch just the cranks from a 340 to the others. They want to balance the rotating assambly cause a few grams here and there can add up pretty quickly. Hope this helps. Cast cranks are cheaper to make. They started them in 68 on the 318. Then 71 on the 360s and 383 2 barrel motors. Then 72 400 and then the 73 440. It all cdd as me down to cost per item. Kim

In our case 273 318 340 and 360 rods are all interchangeable.at least within LA engines and magnum engines even if not between them.

The magnum and LA are different....the magnum rod has a thinner small end of the rod....hence a little lighter......you can not put a LA rod on a stock magnum piston since the LA rod is wider....aftermarket rods are probably thinner like the magnum never have checked them...

If you look at ICON/Kb piston catalog it will point this out...

Cast cranks are lighter then forged cranks since the metal is not as dense.....the 340 has HEAVY pistons...so they have to put the extra weight to balance the engine some where.....damper and torque converter...

cast or forged?

SCAT Engine Components 9-360-3580-6123 Scat Cast Crankshafts | Summit Racing ships in Sept $433.00

SCAT Engine Components 4-360-3580-6123 Scat Forged Standard Weight Crankshafts | Summit Racing ships in Sept $852.00

Been using the same cast oem 360 crank for 14 yrs now...internally balanced spinning upwards of 7000 rpm in the traps.
sure but you know the crank
your phone,,your laptop...your tv and all other devices are make in the USA ...Right?....LOL
look where that got us ? A TV used to last a good 20 years or more and could be repaired now they are tossed in the garbage with a short lifespan , like all the rst of the garbage from china . I'll pay more to buy made in the US of ******* A

sure but you know the crank

look where that got us ? A TV used to last a good 20 years or more and could be repaired now they are tossed in the garbage with a short lifespan , like all the rst of the garbage from china . I'll pay more to buy made in the US of ******* A

Good luck ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

so give up and let em finish ruining us? thats why things are as bad as they are.... too many people threw their hands up and said "what choice do we have" rather than DOING something about it

Use some of them really light early 273/318 rods.

-
Back