neutral safety and column shift.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I installed my new ratchet shifter and need a little help.

I have had issues before with the neutral saftie not letting the starter crank (I could always put the shifter in neutral and it would fire) but now it wont start in park and sometimes i have to move the shifter back and fourth past neutral and back it neutral to get it to crank.

I set the shift cable so it has no bind in all gears.

What do you think is the problem?
Im afraid ill turn it off somewhere and not be able to refire...

I also want to remove the old column shift lever and wonder should i leave it in P and just pop out the roll pin? I think the steering lock is on the key switch and not the shift lever right?
i would hate to have the wheel lock while driving down the highway or on the track...

Thanks for the time and advice.

I have had issues before with the neutral safety not letting the starter crank (I could always put the shifter in neutral and it would fire) but now it wont start in park and sometimes i have to move the shifter back and fourth past neutral and back it neutral to get it to crank.

What trans? Where is the NSS? Is it in the trans??? If it's in the trans, you shouldn't be having any issues, I know I haven't. I didn't use the NSS in the shifter.

I also want to remove the old column shift lever and wonder should i leave it in P and just pop out the roll pin?

That's what I did, I haven't had any issues. BUT, if I recall, I wired it up underneath as a safety precaution.

Click to expand, lol.

904 trans, NSS in trans but thinking about switching to a shifter mout one.

Just how did you wire it up?

Thanks again!

904 trans, NSS in trans but thinking about switching to a shifter mout one.

Just how did you wire it up?

Thanks again!

Didn't wire anything, if the NSS is in the trans, use it the way it is. As long as the linkage for the new shifter is adjusted properly it should work just as if the column shifter was still in use.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol.

what did you tie wire?
im guessing something under the dash on the column?

Thanks!

what did you tie wire?
im guessing something under the dash on the column?

Thanks!

Yeah, if I remember correctly it was on the column where I removed the linkages from the column shifter.

If your NSS isn't working properly then try adjusting the shifter cable so it clicks in the indents in the trans, I know if it's not just right, it can act up.

I had to adjust mine 3 times before I got it just right.

Once it's right, the NSS should not give you any fits at all. Mine is a 904 as well, and it's flawless.

I have had issues before with the neutral saftie not letting the starter crank (I could always put the shifter in neutral and it would fire) but now it wont start in park and sometimes i have to move the shifter back and fourth past neutral and back it neutral to get it to crank.

I set the shift cable so it has no bind in all gears.

sounds like the issue was there before the shifter change. is the shifter adjusted properly? soem want them adjusted in neutral and others want them adjusted in park. whats your directions say? i'd check the wiring from the NNS switch to the stater solonoid make sure thats ok.. may even change out the NSS if the proper shifter adjustment doesn't do it...

I also want to remove the old column shift lever and wonder should i leave it in P and just pop out the roll pin? I think the steering lock is on the key switch and not the shift lever right?
i would hate to have the wheel lock while driving down the highway or on the track...

i think the key won't come out unless in park position. then you have hte steering lock while in park. why not just find the proper floor shif column and put it in?

Im changing the column to a Joes racing removable sprint wheel, D Shaft and pillow block when money allows just want the lever out of the way for now.

Yup, just put it in park, pop the roll pin out, remove the linkages down on the column and wire it up so it can't move. Should be good to go, mine's been like that for 4 to 5 years now. I haven't put my floor shift column in yet, I'm waiting to do that when I swap out the engine.

Does the shifter have an adjustable throw length? If so that may be where you need to make a change. Let your transmission detents set then set the cable to them either in park or neutral and go from there.

DO NOT put the NSS on the shifter!!! Fix "what is there." I've heard that the inner comb / shaft can come loose, which will also affect gear selection. If that is not the case, it's either shifter adjustment, wrong shifter lever on the trans (most shifters use proprietary aftermarket shift levers) or something sloppy / worn in the shifter / cable.

Of course as with the original shifter, it could also be a bad switch, or a connector / wiring problem.

im thinking my old NSS had issues thats why i may change it to a new shifter mount switch.

cable, shifter and arm are new.

Shifter is B&M Proratchet

Yup, just put it in park, pop the roll pin out, remove the linkages down on the column and wire it up so it can't move. Should be good to go, mine's been like that for 4 to 5 years now. I haven't put my floor shift column in yet, I'm waiting to do that when I swap out the engine.

any advise on this this one?
I changed over to a ratchet shifter a while ago but haven't been able to "pop" said roll pin

any advise on this this one?
I changed over to a ratchet shifter a while ago but haven't been able to "pop" said roll pin

Grin and bear it. Mine was a real hoot to get out. I just used a same size punch and a ball peen hammer. It took a few rather intense smacks to get it to move. I don't know if there is a way to rig something to press it out or not.

I suppose it could be drilled out, that was my next move if it hadn't broke free.

I tried that...and with more then a ball peen hammer
no dice

I never thought my drill bits would stand up to that
aren't those roll pins hardened steel?

-
Back